Possible Source of Leak...

I had pulled my 77 Bug's engine a couple of weeks ago to replace pushrods and seals. Also, replaced the main seal while I had the engine out. Re-installed the engine and it started to leak from the 'square' hole on the bottom where the engine and the tranny meet. It only leaks when running. Is it the oil cooler or the main seal or something else?

Reply to
Mel P.

Mel did you replace the O ring seal thats in the flywheel itself? you also might want to look for cracks in the case. I had a warped flywheel on a 69 vert I worked on that leaked when it ran.

Reply to
Kafertoys

Mel did you replace the O ring seal in the back of the flywheel?

The only other thing I can think of would be the flywheel is warped, I had that problem on a 69 vert I worked on. You night also want to look for cracks behind the flywheel, I have ran in to that problem also.

Reply to
Kafertoys

I've had a similar leak in the past. Turned out to be the No. 1 main bearing. It has partially spun, the dowel pin in the case leaned over allowing the bearing to move a bit, the bearing/case eventually wore to that the bearing was able to move forward and backward. Before I was aware of this, I replaced the seal, and found the leak continued.

--Mike

Reply to
Mike Fritz