Powdery paint

Years before my Squareback ended up with me it was resprayed. I can spend all day polishing it only to have it about a fortnight later go back to that powdery faded lighter colour. Tried different waxes etc to no avail. Any suggestions apart from making offensive phone calls to Spary Painters?. Cheers John

Reply to
John

Years ago, I painted my '59 bug with enamel. After a couple of days, I took it to an upholsterer to have a headliner put in. I figured it would be a much better job with all the windows out of it. The upholsterer was recommended to me but evidently the work he did for my neighbor was done when he was sober. Well I towed my car to him and he must of fired up some tequila before he sprayed glue throughout the inside of my car and the glue when out the window holes on to my new paint. He then went outside the car and washed all the glue off my paint with unleaded gasoline. My car looked like sh*t. Farther into the story, I went to the paint supply gurus and they sold me Imperial Microfinishing Compound-Liquid #051131-06011 and Imperial Hand Glaze #051131-05990. My car came out looking great. I then maintained it with a Mequires product (that I forgot the name of, but something like car detailer) that came in a spray bottle. Every couple of weeks I sprayed it on my car and wiped it off like I was dusting it, and my car always looked great. I think your paint needs to be moisterized and the wax doesn't do that. I definately would never use any product with silicone.

Reply to
Robert

Powerdy paint means the paint is dead.

Chalking: Formation of a powder on the surface of a paint film caused by disintegration of the binder during weathering. Can be affected by the choice of pigment or binder.

From here:

Karl