Quick Fix

Today my son and I wired a ford selnoid as his vw was having a hard time starting. Very simple and cheap, under $10.00 and about 15 min work...I can't believe just how well this works. I've seen others do this before but never tried it myself. I know many object to shortcuts but it works for me. Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

I have a couple of those selonids laying around here someplace. They do work pretty good.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

Yes, I,ve had a few ignition switches with highish resistance in the switch itself. Usually they are happy to supply a relay but are not too good on the start solenoid. Same thing with ignition, you can lose a few volts to coil. I suppose you should fix the problem rather than the sympton but a relay is usually a darn sight cheaper than getting starter overhauled. John

Reply to
John

they do work wonderfully... and i recommend the hell out of them on fords, and various old tractors....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

while i agree with you on the crux of your statement, for the record, i've had a vw starter short and crank over until the battery was unhooked.... the positive cable burned the insulation off it got so hot.(took some time to get the rear seat out and get the cable off...)

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

One reason to use a battery disconnect I guess... Less chance of needing to grab the first extinguisher mounted just in front of the driver's door.

Les

Reply to
Project Magnet #1

The one in my Ford welded it's contacts permanently together when I had to crank the engine over for a while to get the fuel pump going after some engine work (V8). The starter just kept turning even after I had removed the key from the ignition. Had to disconnect the battery in a hurry so it wouldn't fry the starter. So much for "greatness". Just another unnecessary part that can break.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

..

I like the idea of a kill switch. Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

I need to add one on the Baja. I'd hate to roll the car and not be able to kill power quickly. Might happen one of these days...

Les

Reply to
Project Magnet #1

I have used a main power kill switch in the rear footwell for years, easily accessed from the drivers seat

Reply to
Jan Andersson

how about a HD button/switch closer to the starter? Can be installed either under the backseat or in engine compartment. Kinda killing 2 birds with one stone? No need for kill switch and relay.

Anton

Reply to
anton

I'd rather go with a disconnect switch by the battery. Something I can reach from the driver's seat, once the car settles on it's side or roof.

The fire extinguisher location was perfect. With it being mounted just in front of the driver's door, it never gets in the way on road or off, and is within reach as I exit the vehicle.

Les

Reply to
Project Magnet #1

I had one of the standard large disconnects that folks install in race style cars mounted up under the dash of a bug...basically above my right knee.... never needed it in an emergency situation, but the peace of mind of knowing it was there was well worth the price of admission.

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

It's just like my fire extinguisher, peace of mind is worth twice the cost of installing it.

Reply to
Project Magnet #1