Keyless Entry Range

We have a 2001 9-5 with keyless entry. Manual says it only works short range, and it does, and this seems to be intentional. Around 15-30 feet.

Today, while running errands, I was listening to CarTalk

and someone called in about the remote. Theysaid their geek son said that if you point it at your chin, the range islonger. Klick and Klack said putting it in your open mouth is muchbetter.

Today, while leaving a church picnic, I was about 100 feet or more from the car, too far for the keyless entry to work. So, I tried it. It didn't work. I opened my mouth, stuck it in there and tried again.

The doors opened!

Charles

Reply to
Charles

Charles

I know those two often say things tongue-in-cheek. I didn't know that it was also remote-in-mouth.

Reply to
Walt Kienzle

Except this isn't optics. The keyless remote uses radio waves.

My (2001 9-5 Aero) key has always had terrible range. Occasionally it will open from 20-30' away, but more often I have to be nearly within touching range before it will finally work. I'll have to try the "open mouth" trick.

Reply to
Gary Fritz

I sense a competition coming up? My 9000 Aero will open at about 30m, or from inside our house while the car is outside!

Richard Sutherland-Smith 19 Webb Road, Wanganui 4500, NZ

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

No competition! Last night was a "good night" for my 9-5 -- it responded to the key when I was 30' ~= 10m away. That's an unusually good range for my car.

Pointing it at my open mouth had absolutely no effect on the range.

Reply to
Gary Fritz

I find mine works better when I am higher in elevation than the vehicle. Just 3' or so vastly increases range.

Reply to
still me