Re: Engine Case Alloy

I've got an old run out case that I'm looking for something to do with,

> exactly what depends on what it's made out of. I know that cases were > made out of an aluminum/magnesium alloy but I reacall reading somewhere > that this was only very early on, 40s-50s time frame. Did they change to > an all aluminum case sometime? > > My case is a '64, if it's magnesium or has magnesium in it I'll donate it > to the next weenie roast:). If it's all aluminum I'm going to melt it > down & do some castings. > > If I cut a small piece off to test can I get it hot enough to ignite the > magnesium with a propane torch? > > > Thanks, > > -- > Howard Eisenhauer on ************************************** > * * > Chebucto Community Network * Can't think of anything cute * > Halifax Nova Scotia * to put in here * > * * > snipped-for-privacy@chebucto.ns.ca **************************************

Definitely throw it in the campfire. It takes a while to start burning but it burns white hot. Often, a white hot "lava" rolls out of the fire. Old transmission cases and transmission nose cones (which break a lot) are magnesium, too.

Dune buggies seem to be pretty hard on VW engines and transmissions. It seems only fitting to have a funeral pyre when these items have come to the end of the road.

This stuff gives off a lot of heat. Once, we found that a lot of plastic items (cups and stuff) near our campfire had melted.

Reply to
George Warner