Transfer case options

The recent thread about transmissions has got me thinking. I've been reading some of the archives about aftermarket transfer cases, as mine is still stock. The "Atlas II" seems to be mentioned quite a bit as the ultimate t-case. However, there are a few things I don't understand in what I've read:

1) What is a "twin-stick" transmission and why is it special? Aren't virtually all 4wd transmissions "twin-stick", one to shift the regular gears and the other to shift in and out of four wheel drive?

2) Some of the nicer aftermarket cases apparently have some weird drive power options, such as 2wd low and front-wheel-drive-only! Other than just being 'different', what are the advantages to driving with these unusual configurations?

P.S. I also noticed in the archives that the CJ's Dana 300 is generally regarded as far superior to the TJ's NP351. ;-)

Reply to
Joshua Nelson

That would be a Twin Stick TRANSFER CASE, not transmission. Most transfer cases hava a single stick that controls two rods in the TC. A twin stick refit allows for the individual rod controls...

...which allow for someone to put their ride in front wheel drive to drag the back end around an obstcle with a hand brake on -or- front wheel drive when the rear diff has exploded, to limp home. Or two wheel low to the rear only.

My D300 twin stick retrofit and tera low install is somewhere on this link behind a green jeep:

note the Dana 18 refrence, that TC had the twin stick OEM

Reply to
Jeepers

The "twin stick" you are refferring to is one for the transmission, one for the transfer case.

A twin stick T/C actually means you will have 3 sticks (1 tranny, 2 t/c). Some people with lockers in the front need to be able to easily disengage the front axles while going around tight corners on teh trail or maneuvering around obstacles. A twin stick allows you to do it without getting out to unlock your front hubs. Just a few uses, surely there are more.

Yes, the Dana 300 is widely considered to be one of the best jeep transfer cases.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

The 231 in the TJ is just one stick - you get rwd, 4wd high and 4wd low.

I guess 2wd low could be useful if you want to manoeuver a trailer on tarmac precisely and if it avoids you slipping the clutch. Fwd is best avoided as the front diff is smaller than the rear diff, but is a bonus if you have just grenaded your rear powertrain...

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

Reply to
Dave Milne

A Twin Stick tcase is one where you have two sticks to operate the tcase, giving you three sticks altogether counting the stick on the trans itself.

You do not need an Atlas II because you have a D300 already. You might want to investigate a 4:1 kit for that D300, this will give you a LO range of 4:1 instead of the current ratio of 2.6:1.

Today, you have to get out to lock the front hubs, then climb back in to select 4LO, then climb back out to unlock the hubs and leave the tcase set to 4LO, but get 2LO, RWD. The Twin Stick will let you select 2LO, RWD by simply moving the tcase levers around. This saves trips to the axle to lock and unlock as you need. Another feature of the Twin Stick is that you get

2LO, FWD, which can be handy to have in some cases.

With a Twin Stick on your D300 tcase, you get 5 gear selections, 2HI, 4HI,

4LO, 2LO-FWD, & 2LO-RWD.

You can get all of this from your D300 for about $150. All you need is the Twin Stick.

Whether it is superior or not is a matter of opinion, it is gear driven instead of chain driven, and the case is cast iron instead of aluminum. The cast iron is stronger, but the aluminum is lighter. The gears can break, but the chain can stretch. It is a matter of opinion which is better. The only thing that is true is that they are different. The Atlas II is an aluminum case with gears, so you decide.

Reply to
CRWLR

Limping home is not going to happen with the twin stick because the front wheel drive option is LO Range only.

One can limp home on front wheel drive, but the twin stick is not needed to do that. All one needs to do is pull the rear drive shaft, lock the front hubs, and shift into 4HI. This is a particularly engaging drive home though, especially if one has a front locker. ;-)

Reply to
CRWLR

Low range front wheel drive IS definetely "limping".

Reply to
Jeepers

If I remember correctly, Joshua has a TJ. His t/c is a nv231, not a d300, unless he's swapped it out.

Reply to
TJim

I thought Josh had a CJ. My bad ...

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

That's OK... Try to keep up... ;-)

Reply to
TJim

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Sheesh, just what I need, Bill covering me on a Senior Moment.

I thought I had heard Josh say he has a Scrambler or some other CJ model.

CRWLR

he also allgedly has a CJ8.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

This could be dangerous.

Reply to
bllsht

CRWLR, He must have a whole heap o' Jeeps.

"The so-called "4500 pound winch" balked at even pulling my ~2700 lb TJ one inch."

Reply to
TJim

But I'm also allegedly a poo-eater, so be careful about believing everything you read. ;-)

Reply to
Joshua Nelson

Believe me, when it comes to anything you post, I am quite skeptical....

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Why do you continue to sink to this immature behavior? We try and try to give you the benefit of the doubt, and you always come back to this sort of crap. Give it a rest already, and move on. More importantly, grow up.

Reply to
CRWLR

"> P.S. I also noticed in the archives that the CJ's Dana 300 is

Unless there has been a change in the specs, the tcase in the TJ is the NP231.

Reply to
CRWLR