Re: OT: traffic cameras - link to an ITE perspective

Sorry to keep this going! As a traffic engineerl in the great state of Florida, where red light enforcement cameras are NOT legal, and someone who has timed many yellow and red clearance intervals, I thought some of you might be interested in the following link to a suprisingly interesting informational report published by ITE (Institute of Transportation Engineers) on red light running.

Most of the issues and I think some jurisdictions mentioned on this thread are disscussed in this paper mainly designed to inform people who are mandating and designing red light enforcement cameras.

Page 33 (pdf page 45) shows the ITE formula used as a guidance for the yellow and all red timing.

I have never imagined recomending traffic stuff to anyone but the passions in this debate here are high, just as they are in the transportation engineering field itself.

by the way: I feel that private contractors should have NO - ZERO - NADA input or say on what the clearance timing is.

Reply to
Greg