Do you know about the 'Move Over' traffic law?

I saw a news item about this on the TV news this morning. I did not know there was such a law (there isn't in NYS, Maryland, D.C., or Hawaii). Apparently, many motorists (~71 %.) in the states that have the law do not know it.

some, or maybe all, the states that have it include other than for law enforcement safety.Check your state law for specifics.I do these things as a matter of courtesy and safety without any law telling me to do so.

Reply to
willshak

willshak added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

Staying to the right except when passing has long been the rule of the road. Trucks are also supposed to be in the right most lane except when passing or when traffic prevents it. What I see so prevalent in today's drivers are those who blissfully float along in the left most lane, at or under the speed limit, often side-by- side with another vehicle. This leads other drivers to attempt to get around the obstruction by cutting lanes and lane weaving,both of which are dangers. And, it would seem that many/most of these left lane hogs are completely oblivious to what they are doing because they're on a cell phone or fussing with something in the car.

Reply to
HEMI-Powered

HEMI-Powered wrote the following:

Yeah, but... that has nothing to do with the Move Over law.

Reply to
willshak

That law is also in affect in Rhode Island. Amazingly, not many people know it though.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

The law does exist in Ohio but most do not know it. Recently a law was passed that if your windshield wipers are on, your headlights must also be on. Most people are completely unaware of that one too.

Tony

Reply to
Roadsign

Roadsign wrote the following:

That law has been in effect in NYS for decades. It is prominently displayed on the 'Welcome to New York' signs at all roadway entrances to NYS.

Reply to
willshak

willshak wrote the following:

I'm sorry. It used to be prominently displayed on the 'Welcome to New York' signs, but had been removed since most states already had the law.

Reply to
willshak

Well, us hicks in Ohio didn't think of it until now. We may have paved roads by next year, but only the big roads.

The big argument over the law is "Are runnning lights considered headlights?". IMHO, the trouble with running lights is that they do not turn on the tailights.

The problem with the "pull over" law is what does pull over mean? To the right is usually correct, but not always.

Reply to
Roadsign

Well, I'm curious: what, exactly, are "running lights"? Just the marker lights? My understanding is that what people call "running lights" should be called "parking lights". The only time I can think of where it would be useful to drive with the parking/running lights on and the headlights off is in heavy fog.

I am one of 116 people in the US that checks all the lights on their car on a regular (~monthly) basis. I don't recall every noticing that the taillights don't come on unless the headlights are on.

Or are we discussing "Daytime running lights" (DTRs) in the newer cars, that are on all the time?

When I drove for a living, I had my headlights on whenever I was moving. I soon discovered that a large white van, with headlights, can still be invisible to a portion of the driving population. OTOH, I never had an accident, so maybe it did help.

Gratuitous peeve: people that park the car (standing) but leave the headlights on. It takes a moment to realize that the are not coming and the right-of-way is clear, by which time it may not be. The unneeded glare also obscures cars that *are* moving but don't have their lights on, pedestrians, etc.

Reply to
Plague Boy

In message , Plague Boy writes

These have not only been standard on all Volvos for the past 15 to 20 years, but is also a requirement of many EU countries.

Reply to
Clive

My 97 pickup has driving lights that I installed. They go on with the ignition and there is a dashboard switch that disables them for all times. They are 55 watt halogen lights under my front bumper, but they are angled down a little bit so as not to shine them in the faces of oncoming cars.

Even worse are parked cars on the wrong side of the road with headlights on - a NYS 'left side to curb parking violation' even with no lights on.

Reply to
willshak

Who really gives a FUCK !!!!!

Reply to
D.

Why is it that all the dopes in SUV's and trucks drive around with their driving lights on all the time? Driving lights are not supposed to be for around town - they are for the open road with no on-coming traffic. These vehicles are already the highest vehicles on the road and have plenty of light projection and visibility with their regular lights and they are already blinding drivers in on-coming cars. Yet they still drive around all the time with their friggin driving lights on.

Reply to
me

Typical legislative moves: pass laws designed to improve public safety but don't tell the public so that the law actually has little effect except to cause a few more tickets to be written.

In MA, they passed a law requiring people to clean the snow off their cars and trucks. It seems the snow flying off cars, and especially semi trucks, has caused many accidents as the ice and snow blankets cars behind them. Another "common sense" law like "move over" legislation, but common sense isn't common. So, they pass a law - but again they haven't told anyone, so new drivers even know about it, and safety is not improved.

Reply to
me

me wrote the following:

They are installed for safety, not for me to see better, but for other dopes to see me coming. That's why they are angled down. They don't even light up oncoming vehicles or vehicles I am following.. My fault for calling them 'driving lights', but thats what they are sold as, and they are on when I am driving, but they are being used as aftermarket daytime running lights. ..

Reply to
willshak

It gets even worse when the police don't know the law.

Last fall I was on a 4 lane road, in the rightmost lane, at a traffic signal. This road crossed another four lane road. When the road crossing mine got the red signal, my road got the left turn signal. This meant that traffic on the other side of the intersection could turn left as well as the side I was on. The guy in front of me was going to make a right turn (as I was) and right turn on red was permitted. The guy turning left smashes into the guy ahead of me in the rightmost lane of the crossroad.

The cops show up and I waited as a witness. (I knew the guy ahead of me as he lives two doors down from me) The cop tickets me neighbor? Was the cop right?

Tony

Reply to
Roadsign

Everywhere I have lived, the law states that if there is more than one lane, the left turner is supposed to turn into the inside lane and the right turner should turn into the curbside lane. If the person that has turned left wants to move over to the curbside lane he may do so when that lane becomes clear. Vice versa for the person in the right lane. This information should be in your states drivers manual and should be on the drivers test. Looks to me like the LEO gave the ticket to the wrong person.

Reply to
Anyolmouse

Absolutely! I "mentioned" to the cop that my neighbor was in the right, but he still ticketed him. It went to court and turned out right, but what a waste of time. So it isn't just "the people" who don't know the driving laws, it also includes the boys in blue that enforce them.

Reply to
Roadsign

It depends which state you are in. In Texas if you have the light (i.e. The guy with the left turn signal) you can legally turn into whichever lane you please and if you are making a right turn on red after stopping, you can only legally turn from the curb lane into the curb lane and only without interfering with any other traffic. Here the ticket would properly go to the right-turn-on-red guy.

Reply to
E. Meyer

"E. Meyer" wrote in news:C7A167F6.17961% snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net:

logically,the one with the green signal has right-of-way over those stopped at a red,even a right-on-red. Right-on-red requires that the driver go only when it's not interfering with thru-traffic. That includes green left-turn arrows.

there are plenty of places where you HAVE to left-turn into the rightmost lane in order to turn into an entrance that's near the intersection. Like most gas stations located on corners.

Reply to
Jim Yanik