Re: Swing Axel adjustment Ryan

Ryan, Your right ,I need to re-index the torsion bars. Is it much of a job? Even with two people on it ,it doesn't settle.I can see where it is trying to go beyond the stops.I think "PO"tried to adjust them and went the wrong way because the bolts have been changed. I have pictures on the bottom of this page where it says"TRYKE" Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

Jerry, just so you know, I just wanted to make sure that you got the advice you needed. Mario aka Kafertoys deserves all the flames he gets because of his a) reputation as a crook and con artist and b) complete lack of knowledge.

Back to the topic at hand, it's definitely a must to get those wheels evened out, as positive camber is definitely not the ticket for a good handling swingaxle car.

Reply to
ryan68bug

Jerry, tons of info on the samba, even some videos I watched last night, search the forums for lowering and you will find the charts and the math on number of notches to height. here are some links for a start: These are for IRS on the type 3 but much of the principals are the same for swing on a type 1:

More on swing
You will find the info you need on there. Once you get it adjusted you may consider a camber compensator to improve handling. Darrell

Reply to
fixer33

As far as reindexing the bars goes, its' a bit of work, but there's plenty of knowledgeable minds on this newsgroup that can give you a detailed explanation. It's very key to be extremely careful in removing the spring plate off the stop, as it is under extreme load. The short version of the process is the spring plate is indexed to the torsion bar by means of a splined end on the torsion bar. You rotate the spring plate up or down on the splined torsion bar to either raise or lower the suspension. It's good to provide a witness mark before you change it, so you know where you started from.

But again, this is an oversimplification. I'm sure there's guys that can give you much more detailed explanation and instructions here.

Just don't take any advice from Mario ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com). At least, not if you value your life or possessions. Lol.

Reply to
ryan68bug

To dial in the rear you need to know that the inner and outer splines differ in numbers, this allows for a very precise adjustment. Buut, do I remember the details? no.. It is listed in most of the Tuning/Performance books though. The official workshop manuals and the Bentley also covers it in minute details. If you want to be German anal about it you need a spirit level protractor(?).

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

any of the factory settings will be of little use to Jerry, due to the vehicle being so much lighter than the original type 1.... Jerry will need to possibly start by dropping a couple splines(inner or outer) then fine tuning from there..(read: trial and error, until he's pleased with the results)

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

The original factory settings are given in degrees not spline count, hence the spirit level protractor, therefore applicable.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

I understand, and have, the factory specifications in a manual... but for the trike's lightweight it will *never* sit the same finished height as the type 1 it is based on because there is less weight to flex the torsion spring... therefore the factory specifications will not yield the same ride height. in turn the factory settings will not alleviate the overly positive camber the OP is battling... simply removing the engine in a swingaxle car results in positive camber and the engine is less than 300 pounds...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

With some kit car bodies being lighter its hard to call. My Bradley's were stock and sat great. On my thing we went 2 outters and dropped it

3 inches, of course that was irs. Womakc has been going around 2 splines on the outter and 1 i think on the inner, that pretty much slams the rear on a stock early bug. I would do 1 to 2 outter and go from there, just remember to roll it around after you get it back together as it will settle then. If memory servers me correct the inner splines give you half as much as the outter. The compensator is not gong to do what you want and keep a decent ride. We just did 1 outter on a suicide door bug that will hit the shows next spring, its irs as well but running tall tires in the rear on Chev wheels, Owner was tickled purple ( car is 96 Mustang gt Purple) lol. Also doing a 6 inch narrowed beam for the same car. Yell if we can help in any way. Kelly
Reply to
metwiz2

Womack that is. Bad spelling is contagious.

Reply to
metwiz2

I'm pretty sure there's going to be a big difference in weight from a stock bodied car to this:

this will result in a higher stance due to less weight, and in turn more positive camber...

To the OP... just gather everyone's information then figure a path to take... I'd feel safe saying that it appears that the rear of your trike is probably set at stock level... but no matter, if you want to relieve the positive camber you will have to lower the rear to get the wheels to camber less...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Is the original settings not given when loaded? If not so and I remember it the wrongly you would be right, and I would be wrong..

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

If the specifications were given for the finished/loaded setting, everytime someone set the torsion bars it would be trial and error... therefore the settings are given in the "relaxed" state. my scanner has never worked properly, but I'll type this out of the Bentley.

Bentley manual (blue manual for 1966-1969 models) chapter 5, section 8

  1. Spring Plates: Correct wheel alignment and adequate spring travel under all loads for which the car was designed are essential to good road handling. These conditions can be obtained only if both spring plates are set at exactly the same angle. When one side has been set, the angle of the other plate should be checked and corrected as necessary.
8.1 Setting Spring Plates the specified spring plate setting angle with the torsion bars free of tension is 17 degrees 30 minutes to 18 degrees 20 minutes. the number of splines on the inner and outer ends of the torsion bars is different to allow accurate setting of the springplate angle: inner end: 40 splines outer end: 44 splines Turning the torsion bar by one inner end spline changes the angle 9 degrees. turning the spring plate one spline gives an angle change of 8 degrees 10 minutes. this combination allows a minimum correction of 50 minutes in the spring plate angle. (Nine degrees minus 8 degrees 10 minutes ewuals 50 minutes) A special protractor with a bubble level is used to measure the spring plate angle in the installation procedure...

END BENTLEY QUOTE

Jerry will need to use some trial and error or some amazing math to figure how the weight of his trike will twist the torsion bars... the stock settings are spot on for a stock car, but as we modify these cars extensively the stock settings are for reference only....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Yup, I had it all wrong in my head.. Getting older I guess.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

I can sympathize.