Swing Axel adjustment

I have a 74 Rupp Centaur with a 67/68 swing & 1500. The fiber glass body is lighter than the bug was so the rear wheels slant in at the bottom.What would be the easiest way to level this thing ? When I relax the torsion bars how do you know how many splines to jump ? Or is it by trial and error.I know you have to separate the axel and hub from the arm. I did consider just using coil over shocks because their isn't much weight on this thing.But I rather just do it right.

Jr.

Jerry - OHIO

Hey Jerry what your looking for is an empi camber adjuster, its a bar that hooks to the bottom of the engine and has bushings that set under the axles, it bot only level out your wheels but make the rupp more stable.. Nice toy by the way I wourked on one for a guy here a few years back.

Reply to
Kafertoys

What does the wheels look like when you are setting in it and has been rolled a few feet? Their is the key. It will only be natural for the wheels to be toed in at the bottom if their is no one in it.

Reply to
Michael Rogers

Lighten the Beetle with rear swing axle and the rear wheel camber will change. I was going to say pre-69 but are the Beetles made in the 80s also swing axle too? Adding some device to force the camber back to normal will most likely stiffen the ride. It is easier to do that but hopefully you will like the stiffness. ;-) You definitely DON'T WANT to attach anything to the engine that affects the camber!!!

You might want to do the resetting of the rear torsion bars like you had originally thought. I did not have that problem with my '67 Bradley GT so it must have been a little heavier body.

Good luck and keep us informed with your decision!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

sorry what I meant is it attaches to the tranny

Reply to
Kafertoys

Thanks guys !!!I was sent to the Samba and pics and video. It doesn't look to bad now I see how it is done.I think if I measure the axel at both ends (hub & tranny ) it will give me a starting point. I do have a protractor level I just didn't think of it. Just turned 62 and another year dummer.I haven't turned a wrench in 20 years but with this half bread bug i'm enjoying it again .Bugs ,candy bars and retirement what a great life !!! Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

You forgot beer!

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

This Buckeye Hillybilly can only drink Bubba Cola. Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

Jerry, glad those helped, one of the things on the video that worried me was that his spring plate was not under any pressure at rest when he pried it out, while he mentions it, most of the time it will have to be jacked up off of the stop and will be under strong spring pressure, if a novice misses that it could cause an injury. As mentioned by the group, it probably is at stock height, thats why I thought the lowering instructions would be just the ticket due to the lighter weight, I have to do just the opposite and raise my rear end on the 68, it was lowered so much by the PO that the camber is wacked. It sits perfect with the engine out. Cant drive it like that. Let us know how it turns out and good luck. Darrell

Reply to
fixer33

It will be in warmer weather when I can work on it.Ohio snow is falling again. Most guys work in their garage ,some on cardboard over concrete , me I just got grass. Winter is for planing and dreaming for me.You guys sure supply alot of information for guys like me.I have a book but it didn't stress " Under Tention",I enjoy reading this group ,there is

Jerry - OHIO

Sorry , hit send by accident and before spell check. Like some body else we know. Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

SWEEEEET! ;-)

How many splines are you going to clock the torsion bars? 3-4 outer maybe? What is the consensus on this, as a guess?

Grass/ground gets nice and hard when frozen! ;-) Plywood, Tarp over your work area and a small heater can allow you to work on it. But you probably won't ride it until warmer weather though!

Keep us informed!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

judging by the pictures I'm gonna bet that even two outer(or inner) will be too much.. will probably need to have a combination of down on outer and up on inner to get it right.... I'd say down four outer, up three inner...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I used to work out side when I was a laborer in housing. I ride my shadow down to about 30'-F. Its hot weather I can't stand. Tuesday it's going to be in the 40's so I'll drive her to my buddys garage-heat and carpet and long johns. Jerry Bug--- critter Bus--Box of Critters Camper bus--Box of Critters with a Pop Top By--The Grand Daughter

Jerry - OHIO