Red light 67 VW Type 1 (ZBUGBITE) 1600 12V Help Please.

Red light flickered on and off for about a week only in idle, Then a solid red light came on so I first checked the belt seemed fine, but replaced anyways red light still. So I checked the brushes, and cleaned with sandpaper, still red light. Next I changed the regulator, still red light so I took that back to the store and bought new coil (on a recommendation from a friend). Then the bug would not stay running when it was in idle, and then shut off and would not restart. So Installed coil still red light, did generator test (Speedy Jim?) that I found in this group generator turned (oh relief). Took battery to local auto store they checked it and said it was dead. Put in new battery, no red light Great! Went for a test drive and it was fixed, got home turned it off, and then turned it back on just to be sure and bam damn red light again and it will not turn off, but the car does stay running. Should I go buy regulator, and some new brushes? Could the generator be bad even though the test made it spin? Like some other Vdubbers I am on a very tight budget (or else I would have kept the regulator). Please help. Any other test I can do without buying anything? Are there some fuses I can check? Thank you in advance!

BTW if anyone is in AZ, I have a thermador swamp cooler that I am trying to get rid of to finance the repairs that may need to be done to Zbugbite the swamp cooler is listed on craigslist.

Reply to
CB2090

I would say the generator is bad, When you do Jims checks the generator needs to spin with moderate speed to be good. Make sure all your electrical connections are clean.

I did a 66 beetle that took putting in 2 "good" generators to get it right. I've had a good # of "bad out of the box" remanufactured generators.

H> Red light flickered on and off for about a week only in idle, Then a

Reply to
Kafertoys

I would definitely get in touch with Speedy Jim.

Here is his link:

Here is another good link:
Beware of kafertoys. Many say he is a sneaky crook that gives advice to lure you in so he can rip you off big time.

Reply to
Jim Ed

There you go talking about me having magic powers. Words from ignorant people that have never meet me or been to my shop doesn't compare to

The bad boy of VW

Reply to
Kafertoys

what does this compare to? (hint: mud daubers or horseshit, you pick)(don't try and say they are photoshopped to spread "lies" about you like you did to the guys in carchat that told you you were a hack. Photoshopped, what about the video, creative editing? So much denial, it's hilarious! )

- news story featuring VintageWerks Restoration
- video shot at local carshow showing how the car looked as "completed" by Mario.

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Update sold the swamp cooler so I was able to buy the voltage regulater. Noticed as I was installing that a wire had melted coming out of the old voltage regulater, this one was leading up to the wiring in the dash (10 gauage). Looked at the dash and nothing melted up there. Cut out melted portion of wire and butt connected new piece and installed new voltage regulater. Still have the red light, and bug doesn't want to stay running. I also bought a volt ohmmeter any advice on how to use it to see if the the problem is the new battery (being fried by old regulater), new regulater, or the generator?

Sorry to sound selfish, but can we keep the conversation to helping me fix my VW. Thanks for all the help and advise.

Reply to
CB2090 (ZBUGBITE)

Figured out how to check the new battery VOM fluctuated between 11 and

12 when car was off and on went up to 13 when stepped on the gas pedal. The red light stayed on after i turned car off, read muirs book and ran back out to the garage, new regulater bad, reinstalled old regulater. started up and stayed running, pushed on generator brushs and red light went off ordered new brushes, but one of the springs looks different than the other i think it was broken and rigged in there. Will be reading speedy jims site on how to check the generator once I install new brushes, local chain auto parts store can not get springs anyone know where to find them?
Reply to
CB2090 (ZBUGBITE)

hmm... not sure where to get the retainer springs, but I'm sure there's enough of us here that we can come up with one for you if you don't find them quickly enough... I have a generator or two just laying in the basement...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

UPDATE, ZBUGBITE running red light off. Changed the brushes and red light at first was on then pushed on the brush with the broken spring and red light went off. Shut the car off and turned back on and red light stayed off. Checked the voltage at the battery and it increased to 13.6 - 13.8 when I stepped on the gas. Wohoo, thanks for all the help and advice. If anyone knows where to find the springs I would still like to get one so I do not have to deal with it having any problems. I live in AZ in the PHX area if anyone knows of a VW junkyard out here let me know. Thanks again!

Reply to
CB2090 (ZBUGBITE)

Just so you know most of us are here to help, email me your address and I'll get a set sent out to you no charge. Theres a good VW crowd in your area you should hook up with one of the clubs.

Good luck with it it sounds like you have it solved

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

Thanks Mario, I was on craigslist and found a guy selling a nice bosch generator for cheap so I picked it up and I am going to use the spring out of it and keep the generator as a spare (plus it came with the dog house, fan, and engine tins).

Thanks Again!

Chuck

Reply to
CB2090 (ZBUGBITE)

Accept any favors and/or knowledge from Mario Gavazzi at your own risk:

Good reading there.

Reply to
bugnut68