Red light (sort of) on!

I have a '71 Type I in good shape, runs great etc.etc.

But one thing that has concerned me is that the red Generator warning light occasionally 'glows'.

It doesn't come on per se (when compared with the intensity during the light test at ignition) but there is definitely some current there. Its only really noticeable at night - its so faint that in daylight its not noticeable. I had my trusty mechanic check out the generator, and he gave it a clean bill of health.

I noticed that the light sometimes get slightly more intense when I press on the brake pedal, so I'm wondering if its some sort of electrical current bleed through. But from where?

This is an intermittent event - it can be visible for as little as

5-10 seconds, or for most of my 15 minute commute.

There is no other apparent problem, and this has been going on for over 6 months, so doesn't appear to be a sign of imminent disaster.

But all comments greatfully received ......

xix_84

Reply to
oherrera

Actually, this is a very common occurence. (notice that I did not say problem) The old wiring in the car has a lot of resistance in it from corrosion, age, etc. This causes the red generator light to glow dimly at times.

It's worse at night becuase of the larger current drain on the system from your headlights and tailights. It becomes brighter when you step on the brake pedal becuase the brake lights drain more current.

Try cleaning all your fuse contacts very thoroughly.

It's not really a problem, but your car's electrical systems are all not getting quite as much juice as they should from the old wiring. The only fix is to replace your wiring harness. John C at

has several different wiring harnesses at fairly reasonable prices for the excellent quality.

Good Luck!

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

So common, in fact, that the owner's manual states that the "red warning light for the generator and cooling goes out as the engine speed increases". Guess even the new ones had a glow at low idle with the lights on.

-Chip

Reply to
Owokie

Could be!

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

I've heard of one fix - paint the speedo over the warning light to make it more opaque. :)

Reply to
Michael Cecil

That light will come on when you step on the brake pedal, turn on the turn signals, or turn on the wipers because more current is being used. The voltage will drop down to about 9 volts sometimes. Converting to an alternator will help.

It would help if you got a few VDO Cockpit gauges. I used cip1.com as a reference.

You could start off with a VDO voltmeter. VDO-332-041 - VDO 2 1/16 12V VOLTMETER GAUGE - BLACK COCKPIT SERIES

one is easy to hook up.

VDO-310-012 - VDO 2 1/16 300F OIL TEMP GAUGE - BLACK COCKPIT SERIES

sender. VDO-323-055 - VDO 300F OIL TEMPERATURE SENDER M14 X 1.5
sender looks like the one I used to fit the following adapter. You will get a more accurate reading at the oil dash indicator light sender location or at the dipstick than at the sump plate, so you will need the following adapter.

VDO-240-850 - VDO T ADAPTER FOR OIL TEMPERATURE SENDER - TYPE 1 STYLE ENGINES

Use these unless you have a high pressure oil pump. It works with a stock or a little larger than stock oil pump. If you have an oil pressure gauge. You can sort of tell if the oil pressure and oil control valves are working by the oil pressure drop after the engine warms up.

VDO-350-040 - VDO 2 1/16 80 PSI ELECTRICAL OIL PRESSURE GAUGE - BLACK COCKPIT SERIES

VDO-360-001 - VDO OIL PRESSURE SENDER 0-80 PSI M10 X 1 SINGLE TERMINAL

- FITS STOCK OIL PRESSURE SWITCH LOCATION

C13-14-1003 - 2 GAUGE - 1 TACH HOLE PANEL - LEFT SIDE OF DASH 58-77 STD BEETLE FITS 2-1/16 & 3-1/8 inch BLACK

C13-14-1007 - 2 HOLE GAUGE PANEL - RIGHT SIDE OF DASH 58-77 STD BEETLE FITS ALL 2-1/16 inch GAUGES - BLACK
VDO-240-864 - VDO GAUGE BLIND COVER FOR UNUSED HOLE 2 1/16 DIA
Just trying to help! jp 73vwbttl

Reply to
Sleepy Joe