Reverse Lights... A lot to ask!

Hello. I have a problem. When I pull the reverse gear, the reverse lights wont come on. The connection must be broken somewhere. The fuse inside the engine lid
blew up a couple of times, but when I replaced it, they worked again for a while. Now: nomore. The connection must be broken somewhere along the swith and the lights. If I supply power directly to the bulb, while connected it shortcircuits, so I think the wire must be toutching ground somewhere. My guess, it would be easier to redoo the swtich-to-lights wiring, and ignore the original one.
PROBLEM: Where EXACTLY is the switch? I know it is somewhere below the cars floor at middle point. My problem is my floor is coated, so before I start poking the coating trying to find the switch, I would like to know the exact location... If possible. If someone could send me an image of the floor with an X where the switch shloud be... Or a photograph, ot would help me very much! I know it is a lot of work to be asking this, but I really need help.
Thanks!
MM '70 1300 bug.
Manuel Macedo wrote:

I doubt the switch is to blame.
It is located *underneath* the car, on the front of the transmission.
http://www.longenterprises.com/diagram_folder/diagramlist.htm Diagram #9 Part #5 is the nosecone. Part #6 is the switch. It screws into the front of the nosecone.
More likely the wires have been scraped (worn) where they pass next to sheet metal, such as the entrance to the engine bay. Or,behind (in front of) the fan housing. Follow the path of the wires to see their condition.
Speedy Jim http://www.nls.net/mp/volks /
Yes, I dont belive the problem is the witch, but since I cant check the whole wires, I'll make my one connections: switch to lights.
Thanks for the diagram, Ill look under the car and try to find it.
MM
On 07/09/24 20:50, in article

I vote the shorting problem is at the light housing itself. Wire terminal might be touching the metal ground of the fender or housing. I sometimes insulate the terminals for safety sake and eliminate that out of the possibilities. Make sure that you have 1156 bulbs, or similar 1-element bulbs, in there too! NOT 1157 bulbs
Yeah or it could be damaged wiring going through the front engine sheet metal like Speedy Jim says, or wrapped over the axle halfshaft. I have seen all of the above!
Easy to find using a 12 volt probe or Volt Ohm Meter. I usually start at the taillights and take both bulb socket plates out of the light housings and test. Then check the front engine sheet metal for visible damage. Then take off the right and left engine bay insulation still looking for the damage. It is a logical procedure and good to sharpen your skills! ;-)
Good luck and have fun! ;-)
--
later,
dave