Rim Size - Fire-road Beetle

I would like to get a set of wagon-wheels and tires which will fit completely under stock fenders (74 std beetle, IRS). The PO installed a set of faux centerlines which stick out beyond the fenders a couple inches. Normally they do not rub, but when running down the occasional dirt road, the fender gets clipped.

What size rim and tires would fit without rubbing stock fenders?

So far I'm considering

15x6" fronts running 195 70r15 15x8" rears running 225 70r15

...am willing to go skinnier if it will help. Am not concerned about looks, hence the wagon-wheels.

TIA

Reply to
crystal1

Wagon, I take it you refer to a T2 ? The wagon/transporter rims have a different bolt pattern, so thats a no go. When it comes to width for everyday use and handling, you need to go no further than 5,5" using 175/*-15. Anything wider and you risk running into issues, you can use 185's on the

5.5"'s, but will be less stable.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Thanks.

I guess I was overestimating the width of the fenders before. A quick search on tirerack brought up a couple 175/65r15s for $50. Will check locally first. Don't recall seeing the steelies available in 5.5". Would you go for a 5" or a 6" if only full sizes are available?

FYI; I was refering to the painted white, steel, usually cheap rims commonly seen on bajas.

Reply to
python1

I think by "wagon wheels" he's referring to the white steel wheels with little triangular cutouts in the centers as made by American Racing et. al. not factory wheels from a VW station wagon... if I'm not mistaken, of course...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

AHhh, that explains it...

You would have to check the offset of those rims to decide wheter to go for

6" or not. 5.5" is the widest approved by the German TUV for the earlier models. The likeliness of the 5" giving you any trouble whatsoever are nil compared to that of the 6", your deccision. :0)

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg