routing oil lines to front of car?

swapping to a new engine soon with full-flow and was wondering the best way to route the lines to the front. Is possible to route through the tunnel on a `73 Super? I haven't opened it up yet, but will for the tranny swap coming later this week. Just wondering what to expect for extra space.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 00:45:10 -0700, David Gravereaux ran around screaming and yelling:

JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

i've got full flow on my VW 1776cc, and i've put the cooler just above the gearbox , bolted upwards where the back shelf is (which joins rear bulkhead). Done 700miles so far i' might make some ducting aswell not to sure i'll see how i get on

John

Reply to
John Skeldon

Yeah, I thought about that, but the Super's got a grill under the front bumper and just asking for the cooler to get mounted there ;)

There doesn't seem to be a nice way to route the lines in a way that lessens the possibility of getting damaged by road debris. Not that I expect to do any off-roading, but I don't want to be dumb either.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 14:07:45 -0700, David Gravereaux ran around screaming and yelling:

if you are hell bent on running the lines to the front of the car, make sure your oil pump can handle it...the extra hose and distance will require a "high volume" pump so you will actually have pressure by the time it goes "out and back"....next if you need to find a protected path to the front, you will have to make it....electrical EMT tubing would be my choice....protects the hose from damage that could happen under the vehicle and if there is ever a leak you will see the oil dripping out of the tubing.... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

EMT is a great idea. I was thinking of using some for routing an electrical feed from front to back for stereo/gauges/etc.. through the tunnel anyways. 1/2" steel lines inside 3/4" EMT filled with insulation in the gap? That might do it.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

"David Gravereaux" wrote

Here's a few pictures of an "up front" oil cooler installation on a Super, with the lines through the tunnel:

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

You'll need a heck of a strong oil pump to pump oil to the front and back. Are you in Tikrit? Porsche 911 can do it cuz they use a dry sump system.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Not sure of the pump capacity, but I'm using a temp by-pass at/near the engine:

David Gravereaux

"It opens at 175 degrees, but remains partly open all the time to keep the oil lines filled, "

with

"It clamps down at 175 degrees, and clamps down tighter the hotter the oil gets pushing more flow through the cooler thus enabling a true feedback system. The resting cold state is to bypass the cooler"

Reply to
David Gravereaux

What about welding a piece of angle iron to the bottom of the tunnel or inside the car where the tunnel meets the floor pan. That would hold up well and wouldn't look bad either.

-Chip

Reply to
Chip Keller