speaking of 74 beetles and batteries

I just had a woman bring in her 74 beetle because it wasn't starting unless jumped or pop started. Sence we were talking about batteries, so it wasthe first thing I looked at. Now I posted that Interstate makes the best battery in my opinion and now I will stand behind that100% , why well she has an interstate battery that is now 13 yrs old and up till last week was working fine in her daily driver. I pulled the caps off and discovered that it was low on acid/water, about 3 cup fulls. I have it on charge tonight and will have it tested at autozone tommorow to see if its still good or not. My guess Yes.

Its a 42-50(month) so if you need one anytime soon this would be my recommendation.

Mario Vintage Werks restorations

Reply to
Kafertoys

in my opinion it won't work good again :) if there wasn't enought of acid it maight be broken down :)

-- Tomasz Antkowiak antek VW 1500'66 Brown Sugar pl.misc.samochody.garbusy GG 7772401

Reply to
Tomasz Antkowiak

Well if you recommend it, then I'll get a Sears Battery for mine. Thanks Mafio

-- the Grokdoc Tom Malmevik all that groks is god

67 Baja "marti"
Reply to
Thomas Malmevik

............LOL !

Reply to
Tim Rogers

well the interstate battery tested having 196 cold crank amps not bad for a 13 yr old battery but because its a customers car I'm going to replace it with another interstate.

Mario Vintage Werks restorations

Reply to
Kafertoys

Reply to
Ben Boyle

places to get them too.

Reply to
Shaggie

places to get them too.

Reply to
Shaggie

Oh I understand what you are saying, but anything you recommend I would avoid completely unless it was the only one available. Your recommendations mean dick to me.

Happy Holidays

-- the Grokdoc Tom Malmevik all that groks is god

67 Baja "marti"
Reply to
Thomas Malmevik

LOL I'm sure no one will argue you must be completely foolish if your going to ignore very good advice because you dislike me, but thats your choice.

You should remember I work on aircooled VWs everyday and as any of my customers will tell you I believe in useing only the best parts available.

Mario Vintage Werks restoration

Reply to
Kafertoys

On 06 Dec 2004 23:58:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Kafertoys) scribbled this interesting note:

You recommend batteries that leak and cause corrosion?

Best part available?

There are better batteries.

John Willis

Interstate Batteries are junk. The best battery/$ is at Wal-Mart.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

I got a battary a year and a half ago for the 67 at Wal Mart. It is hadr to beat the price of $29 that I paid for it. Perfect size for the Beetle too.

Bill Berckman

67 Beetle
Reply to
Bill Berckman

Bill I have replaced a few Everstart (wal-mart brand) batteries that were around 2 yrs old, they are nice because there cheap but I wonder if any will last half as long as any of the interstate batteries I have used. The one in my 67 westy is now 6 years old and has yet let me down.

Mario Vintage Werks restorations

Reply to
Kafertoys

I put a autozone battery (wasn't there most expense either) in my f-150, going on 6 years now. david

Reply to
David

On 07 Dec 2004 05:33:04 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Kafertoys) scribbled this interesting note:

Actually I was thinking of the Optima gel-cell batteries. For any ACVW they are a good choice because they will not leak, may be mounted in any orientation, and don't cause rust. As you know, conventional batteries are the primary cause of rust in ACVWs.

Yes, this kind of battery is bloody expensive, but they are reliable, last a long time, and if you are going to keep your ACVW (as opposed to selling it) then this kind of battery makes perfect sense. And if you run a dual battery set up (with proper isolator circuit in place) then they also make a deep cycle battery as well.

And no, so far as I know, I have no interest in Optima batteries. I'm just happy with their product. I'd love to get my hands on three or four (or more) of them, used, to put in some of my other cars. I get tired of swapping out one good battery among three or four different cars!:~)

John Willis

The latest tests in Consumer Reports has the Costco Kirkland brand up on top. Years ago, it was AC Delco. Many years before, Sears. And that's just the one common size they usually pick to test. Due to the nature of their construction, tests on different sizes would likely yield a different pecking order.

The one thing you should look for is freshness. Batteries stored for extended periods in various states of discharge are something to be avoided. Most brands don't hide the date code anymore. It's there if you look. Month is usually represented by a letter; A = Jan, B = Feb, etc. The year - a numeral. For example; "F4" would mean the battery was manufactured in June

2004.

3 months old is max. Check further back in the rack or go somewhere else.

RT

Reply to
Raymond Lowe

LOL John I suggest the optima battery to everyone of my costomers, if they need a new battery or not and think only one has bought one because of the price. I know alot of shops buy the "Blem" Interstate batteries because there about

1/2 of the normal cost. Couldit be these that are having alot of the leak problems? I haven't had any leak problems with mine but, if this is a problem then I will find better quality for my customers.