Where do they come from?

Picture this after lunch in a busy shop (dealership) almost 90 outside got an intake off of a malibu a woman comes in with a vibration and a
wind noise and a water leak.Warrentys about up and demands we fix it .My luck I get the ro test drive the car 2002 Camero no vibration the wind noise was her rightside window was cracked a little rolled up the window WOW stopped the problem tested the cooling system it past ok went and got the lady told her her window was down which made the wind noise she was irrate said I was calling her an idiot asked her to show me where the water was leaking it turned out to be Ac drain and asked her at what speed does the car vibrate and she told me at 85mph!!!!!!!!!!!There should be a test before people are allowed to even own a car needless to say there went 45mins and the lady left and still wasnt happy.Where do these people comefrom??????lol sorry had to get that off my chest.oh by the way yes we have idiot servicewriters which is the reason I even recieved it.what a day lol
Steve Cook wrote:

There was a guy who parked his new 'vette in front of the local dealer with a big sign advising potential customers not to buy their Chevy at that dealer. His dissatisfaction was that they refused to repair his "high speed shimmy". Turns out that he had vibration at speeds above 120 mph and was not happy about it. Mike
Well it is supposed to be a fast high performance car isnt it? that would explain why he had to pay so many big bucks for it i would think.
I would want that fixed too !!
Why wouldnt they fix it ?
a wobble at 120 mph would be quite bothersome in a high performance car which should be fully capable of such speeds !
I would be also very pisst off at the dealer who refused to fix such a safety issue !!

I really hope you are joking! If not....
1) How do you prove the problem exists without breaking the law and endangering the public? Going 120 mph on a public road is a criminal act, not just a traffic violation. 2)How does the service dept test it after repairs without breaking the law and endangering the public? 3) Are you suggesting it is ok to drive at this speed on the highway? Or, just in school zones? 4) The dealership would be open to unlimited liability if they even tried to fix the alleged problem. 5) How is the owner qualified to make a judgement of a percieved problem at 120 mph? 6) If the vehicle works as advertised in all legal situations the seller is not liable at all. The seller is not obligated to fix an alleged problem that occurs when the vehicle is used to commit a criminal act any more than firearms dealers are responsible for the criminal misuse of firearms or brewers and distillers are responsible for drunk driving. Mike

If I owned a Corvette, I would take it to the track every chance I had. While on the track I am sure a car with such power would exceed 120 MPH. I am sure its a safe assumption that he is, in fact, doing 120 on public roads, but there are many that do take their car to the track for club racing on the weekends.

And in those cases, I would imagine the warranty becomes void. Read the fine print on the warranty, I bet it ecludes problems as a result of racing the vehicle, even if it IS a high-performance vehicle...
Trey wrote:

I agree. Those are respsonible people. They have their cars set up for the track. They don't whine to the dealer. They understand that the dealer is not responsible for performance on the track. Mike

I really hope you are joking! If not ... every vehicle on public rights of way should be speed limited (governed) to the speed limit on that highway. With what they are trying to get into the OBDIII spec., this is already being made technically possible. After all, driving is a priviledge, not a right, so they impose whatever regulation they see fit.
null

Regardless, there's lots of places you can go that speed (for a short time) quite safely

When I worked in a BMW shop we never had a problem testing cars at over 120mph if required.

Of course school zones are preferable, but a deserted stretch of freeway or highway will do just fine

This is simply incorrect. The dealer should check tire balance, tire condition, and suspension/alignment.

Well if you feel an unusual vibration at 120mph in a car that should cruise easily at 150mph, then there's a problem

So if this vette runs and handles like crap at 70mph then it's not an issue for the dealer to rectify? What color is the sky in your world? B
Battleax wrote:

but not legally

I'm sure it was on an approved track.

Lucky you still have your license. That will land you in jail here.

Of course, but the dealer can only be responsible for proper operation under legal conditions.

Maybe, but it is not a warranty issue.

70 mph is a legal speed around here. I'm sure the dealer would fix that issue.

time)
or
cruise
issue
In Wy. or somewhere up there didn't they change the speed limit in some area to none?
I know that if I bought a Camero or a corvette I would want it to do a 100mph with no problems. My Malibu shakes like crazy at 85mph to 95mph but evens out at a 100mph don't know about higher then that the governor kicks in about 105mph. I is legal driving this fast in the most of the location that I drive that fast.
as for the governor at say 75mph I don't think that shouldn't. I normally drive about 85mph on the toll road.
ciao

area
Montana, but I think it has since changed.

Any car manufacturer should make sure that their vehicals are in good opperation condition at any speed that vehical can go. If they are not going to waranty a car for what it does at 120, then what are they doing making a car that can go 120? They can simply sell a warantyed version that is limited to 75, and a non-waranty version that is not limited to 75.

Same here. I will cruise at 85-100 every day on my way to and from work (traffic and weather permitting) and NO I do not split lanes at 85 on my bike. I just camp out in the carpool (HOV) lane.

<snip>

area
Montana has a "reasonable limit" which is the state police's discretion. It really depends on the state of traffic, the time of day, and weather conditions. If it's a bright, sun shiny day and there's not much traffic around, they'll let you cruise @ 90mph, but I wouldn't push it more than that.
Since this is all theoretical (her legality of driving, and whether or not she takes it to the track to find the alleged 120 mph shimmy), what if she's a service woman headed for Europe? I *certainly* wouldn't trust a German shop (or even worse, an on Base shop) to try to repair my Corvette, and I *certainly* would want to cruise the Autobahn with my Corvette.
I don't think it's wrong of people to request a dealer to repair a problem they've found with a vehicle. I had hell trying to get Chevy to even try to find the clunk that my '99 Cavy was doing on traction changes under power (brake or throttle) after they'd replaced my rack 4 times - so I took the service writer out on a test drive, and had to beat the living hell out of my car to get it to do it for him, to which he simply responded, "these aren't normal driving conditions". I found another dealership that had a quality service department, and they fixed the problem.
Jeremy

.My
window
what

.My
window
what
hmmmmm..... Another idiot.
--
Steve
=======================

serviced
what ever dude unless you sign a paper saying you will pay for any ticket or fine that may occure you test drive and fix it your self.the spedo says 120 and it vibrates at 115 ohhhhh on a box of cereal it states part of a complete breakfast but do you have eggs and juice with yours in the morning to complete it ?We cant fix your windows because you use then too much lmao see its people like you who that im talking about yeah your car is worth 90,00.00 your have a 200,000.00 home but look i dont care what you have you want it done then you do it
... Re: Where do they come from? Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Sun, Sep 21, 2003, 9:56pm From: The_Gear snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (SteveCook)
what ever dude unless you sign a paper saying you will pay for any ticket or fine that may occure you test drive and fix it your self.the spedo says 120 and it vibrates at 115 ohhhhh on a box of cereal it states part of a complete breakfast but do you have eggs and juice with yours in the morning to complete it ?We cant fix your windows because you use then too much lmao see its people like you who that im talking about yeah your car is worth 90,00.00 your have a 200,000.00 home but look i dont care what you have you want it done then you do it .....
what Steve said.....and I ain't a dealer tech.
Scrib Abell (was a dealer tech....)
there are two aproaches to take when giving a customer an "Estimate On Repairs"..........................................
know that you know, that you know what the fix is......and tell him from experience what the "add ons" maybe.......
Did you just want to be right, or just feel like ignoring the part that I said the dealer shouldn't break any laws when doing a test drive? I mean if it's a stock car that is meant to do 140-150 whatever, than it should be serviced for that. Now of course the average dealer couldn't do this, but the service should be supplied to the buyer. Now say I did some "performance upgrades" to my suspension. Well then it's my problem entirely. I know many people, kids really, who drag race bone stock street legal cars and do it legally. A big upgrade are spark plug wires and drilling holes in the air box. It would surprise me greatly if you don't regularly do 5MPH over the speed limit. Not to mention, unless it has changed or memory serves me wrong, in Kentucky there are roads where the only vehicles that have speed limits are tractor trailers. What this really sounds like to me is, people who have to deal with the public (IE retail) and the fact that the public sucks. And the public who has to deal with retail and the fact that retail sucks. I've looked through the window both ways in my life. I can see that you have no desire to try to relate with my examples - that all here would rather go with a general consensus and loose no face in the news group.