squeek in the steering

hi, newbie to VW and have fallen in love with my '78 LHD bay, however 6 months on the squeek from my sterring is starting to get to me.

it starts straight away and fades when turning, goes up in pitch when going faster then fades with time!!! But later comes back when turning, usually on long runs over 100 miles or so.

can anyone help me, it's loud over the stereo and my partner loves the bus but puts on a brave face about the squealling banshee coming from underneath.

thanks

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk

Reply to
duffy

Let me get this correct: "something" squeaks merely driving straight ahead, not turning the steering.

Then, the sound dies out after driving a ways but comes back after turning the steering.

Right?

The disc brakes can make an 'orrible squeaking if they drag just a bit on the rotors. That would be my first guess.

Since you haven't had it long, I think a thorough inspection of the brakes and frt wheel bearings is in order. The pads should be checked for wear and the calipers for freedom of movement-those caliper pistons are known to freeze up after almost 30 years of service :-)

Welcome to the world of VWs!

Bookmark this:

(Plenty of great tech articles there. Should keep you both off the street corners for a few evenings...)

Speedy Jim (who greatly misses his '78 LHD Bay :-(

Speedy Jim

it had a full body resto 3 years ago, the squeeking starts when drving ahead then goes when turning, give it a while and it switches. theres no pulling and weve done over 7000km in 6 months and the breaks don't warm on long runs!!! we live with it, thanks for the advice i'll be checking it this weekend,

cheers

Reply to
duffy