Standard vs. Super Beetle?

I apologize if this is a stupid question. But what are the differences between Standar and Super Beetles? Is there an easy way to tell them apart when looking at them?

Thanks, John

Reply to
John Smith

No such thing as a stupid question -- just stupid answers so let me try hard not to look stupid: ( too late :)

Most Supers have a rounded front windshield (the earlier Supers have a flat windshield, like a regular bug). They tend to look wider and plumper (hence the nickname "Fat Chick") if you see them besides a regular bug. The biggest difference is that they have MacPherson strut suspension. The front end is totally different. If I am not mistaken, the spare tire lays flat in a super as opposed to stand up in a regular.

There might be more differences, but that's how I tell them apart.

You're getting one?

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Look under the front wing (fender). If there is a coil spring , its a super.

Rich

Reply to
tricky

Thanks everybody for the answers. I'm shopping around for a beetle (never owned one) and am trying to learn as much as I can about the different kinds. From a restoration perspective, is it easier (with regards to finding parts) to restore a Standard than a Super?

Thanks.

Reply to
John Smith

My reply - My experience only !

Super's give a nicer drive - more modern.

Much more expensive to keep from the screen (windsheild) forwards !

I had to replace the frame head on mine.

10 times more expensive ! ouch !!! 500 instead of 50 GBP

From the screen back its the same.

They look and drive different.

I am going back to standard after this one.

Rich

Reply to
tricky

Also, keep in mind that if you have shimmies on the super, you'll probably have to change a lot of parts and do some serious repairs on the frame head and shock tower mounts. Once in a front colission, the shimmies get really bad. If you get a super, make sure there are no signs of colission anywhere and no shimmies.

If you get a good one, they are really nice to drive at high speeds.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

"Karls Vladimir Peña" schreef in bericht news:dn23tq$sti$ snipped-for-privacy@puff.nn.cl...

Hi Karls,

What do you mean by shimmies? The shimmies you use to correct the endplay? If so where are they in the front? I'm asking this because my brothers 1302 had a front colission before he bought it... and now you made me curious.. ;-)

Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Welcome! There are a lot of really knowledgeable great guys on this forum. (myself excluded - I am still a bug noobie. They keep me around for comic relief because I don't know what I am doing :).

Generally, the older beetles (pre 68) are more desirable and collectable than the newer ones. Supers are least desirable to most VW purists. Many of them seem to think that the newer bugs are not really worth restoring to a major degree (I disagree, but what do I know :)

It depends what you're in this hobby for.

Personally, I like to tinker (Remember those plastic model kits of cars you had when you were a kid? Well, my bug is pretty much in that shape :) If you're handy with tools (and have them) and are not easily scared, get something as solid as you can afford and go to town. Know what you are getting into, though..

If you're more into driving and mild restoration and if you are above the US rust belt, you may want to look south for a solid bug without too much rust. Also be sure to check out

for a really great site with forums and all sorts of stuff for sale.

Where abouts are you located? I am in CT.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

pretty much anything after 67 gets labeled as a fatchick....more so the

71-up.....
Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Shimmies = Bug shakes a lot when doing 40 - 55 MPH.

Check out the article on Top line parts website.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

I think he's using "shimmies" to describe the oscillating/harmonic type of shaking that can occur with suspensions that are out of adjustment. Not "shim" as in a small wedge used to make something fit. Maybe that term isn't in use over there that way.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

You mean to tell me I've been working on a fat chick?? I feel kinda dirty now.. :)

Thanks for the clarification, Chris. Long time no see - good to hear from you. How are them suicide doors coming? (that was you, no?)

Reply to
Remco

welcome to the "ride the fatchick" club....LOL

hinges are still in the box, just as the airbags, airshocks, solenoid valves, etc are.....kind of like the cb supercase, the super race crank, super racerods, etc i bought a couple years ago are.....some day i may have time for this car....plus the wife would like all these parts "gone" from my office...like i'm gonna put them in the basement or something....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Yeah, that aint gonna happen - I'm looking at a couple of body panels right now and my wife has told me the same thing several times already. It is /my/ office, dammit!! What's up with that?? As the saying goes: "Women: you can't live with them - you can't live with them"

For years I've been trying to take about 2 hours a day to get into the shop - almost a ritual. Sometimes I may initially not feel like doing it, but always am glad I forced myself after getting back out. Whatever little time you have left, try it - might work for you too. All little bits add up.

Reply to
Remco

unfortunately i haven't even had the time to build the "shop" yet....LOL....may as well spend that chunk of change(for the building) on car parts to hide in my office.....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Well, give the following some thought when you get good and ready to build your shop:

A buddy of mine ended up building a workshop this summer because he didn't have enough space in his garage. It came out beautiful: post and beam construction, nine foot ceilings, huge sliding barn doors, no pillars, its own electrical service, good lights, insulated, heated, beer fridge, out of yelling distance of the house -- Need I say more? A virtual paradise..

That is until a couple of weeks ago, when his wife thought to park her Miata smack dab in the middle of his space for the winter. Poor guy has this gigantic roller skate in his way now. It made /me/ cry.. :)

Like I said: "Can't live with them..".

Reply to
Remco

Not a problem.. Go to Harbor Freight buy 2 sets of car coasters ..push that little rice burner out of the way into the corner where it belongs! :-)

Be Cool.....AIRCOOLED !!

"Wild" Bill Tucker President Rare Air VW Club Pensacola, Florida '78 VW Bus ( "Old Rusty" ) '76 Bug "The Grape" '69 Squareback , Arizona car, Automatic

Rare Air VW Club Website:

Wild Bill Tucker

I'll see him today and tell him -- good idea..

Reply to
Remco

nice about those is that you can push the car sideways. My garage didn't let me park both my bugs in it untill I used a floor jack to push the 70' up to the east wall. The superbeetle than had enough room to drive in nicely.

I tell everyone I have two german sedans I'm restoring thats why they can't go into the garage.

Raul

Reply to
slugbug

"Karls Vladimir Peña" schreef in bericht news:dn28s6$1ca$ snipped-for-privacy@puff.nn.cl...

Ah, that happened to my brothers 1302 too when i changed the ball-joint A little fiddling with the Toe In/Out did the job

Thanks, clear to me now Roger

Reply to
bug '59