Steering Box (Calling Bob H?)

Hi all

So I've dissected the steering box (link pin Beetle, dunno if that matters) and the main shaft (the one carrying the puck) is worn down a few tens of thou. So it wobbles in the bushing, which is probably also worn.

There's no (or very little) play between the worm and the puck, and in the worm shaft. But play on the output bearing (bush) can't be good.

So, is it worth trying to overhaul this pup? Can one even still get the seal (311 415 297 H)? and a new bush? Are these things available new, and if so, what do they call 'em, 'cos "steering box" doesn't google up anything interesting and the seal part number gets me a site in Cyrillic.

And since a search of Google groups also turns up pretty much squat, I guess we need to wait for words of wisdom from the great Bob H?

*grin*
Reply to
samizdatabase

BTDT When you consider that bushing wear on the order of 1/2 thou (.0005") produces a "huge" amount of slop in the steering, the necessity for tight tolerances becomes apparent.

The bush must be very carefully reamed to the shaft size.

And this assumes that all the slop is in the bush. In reality, the wear in all the parts (the ones you can't easily "rebuild") adds up in a hurry.

Take my word for it; unless you are equipped for some fancy machine work, you're better off buying a new box...

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim