Steering Box - HELP! - Calling Beamends!!

1990 110TD CSW (19J engine)

I was doing the steering box tonight.

Two problems!

  1. I can't get the drop arm off the old steering box; and

  1. More importantly the nut from the old steering box output shaft is a different thread to the new steering box output shaft!

I need to use the car Saturday!! (The old steering box is too far gone, so I can't fit that back on.)

Suggestions please?

What is the thread of the output shaft of the new steering box? I may be able to get a nut made locally.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Peter:

Contact the distributor. New boxes typically come with a new nut, even remanufactured boxes for that matter. As for the drop arm use a puller. I used a 2 - gear design, else, place the box in a vise and using two pry bars equally apply pressure to release the arm.

Jack

Reply to
Jack

Jack,

Thanks.

I'll get a puller from Machine Mart today, mind you a tapered splined shaft is potentially going to be fun to remove - I've already broken a Machine Mart ball joint splitter in getting the drop arm ball joint out!

The nut is the bigger problem. I have checked all the packaging and there is nothing in there. It threads all the way down the old output shaft with no problems, on the new steering box it gets about a nut's width on and gets very still, so whilst there is protective paint on the threads it feels more like a wrong thread that jamming on paint.

The fun's going to be getting another nut today when I have to be at work and I must have the car on the road tomorrow as I have a miniature railway to run and stock to take down there!

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

That's a right bugger - can you find something like a truck repairers or serious workshop with a decent puller (even the LR tool is known to break trying to get them off!). You try heating it, but whatever you do don't do anything to damage the splines and/or thread.

No problem - I'll put one in the post.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I have the genuine Landrover tool for the job and some time that struggles. A machine mart puller might not be man enough.

Reply to
Marc Draper

My youngest son took it down to the local LR garage (not a dealer) he got it off in seconds apparently!

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

I've done 2 with the box out on the floor, good smack with a lump hammer and they flew off :)

-- Jon

Reply to
jOn

OK, it's all back together, no leaks, centralised and the indicator cancel works nicely.

But.....

The steering feels very light now (very little effort to turn the car).

Do I assume that the old box was probably leaking for a while and thus its "power" was reduced?

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Some people are never satisfied !!

Reply to
Dougal

Oh I'm satisfied, but should I be worried? :-)

Thursday the steering box, next Saturday the clutch!!

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Not at all - you should be able to turn the wheel with the palm of your hand - practically with one finger! I remember when I bought the 110, after a whole range of Series motors ending with Red October (Stage 1 V8) I set off down the road zig-zagging, having gone into automatic "Series steeing" mode.......

Now that *is* fun ;-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Richard,

It arrived this morning and it was the right nut.

Many thanks

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter