Strange idea...

I have a few NIB OEM high-resolution (or fine movement) step motors originally intended to control the read/write arm of an early disc drive (RMO3 if you need to know). These drives were the size of a top-loading washing machine (and looked line one, too). Each can hook to another to synchronize together.

It is just nutz to consider using these (or any good step motor) to run dual carbs in a fly-by-wire way?

If it is nutz, I'll just throw 'em out.

Oh, the RMO3 had a massive 67M of storage. :)

Reply to
<jjs>

From the simplicity of a wire up to back of engine to a remote position sensor on accelerator pedal coupled to your stepper motors via fairly sophisticated electronics?. Do your self a favour, stay with the wire. You dont even need the official cable, I,ve used a bit of galv steel wire from hardware shop and had it work perfectly. No, a million times no ,stay with the wire. Cheers John

Reply to
John

That makes sense. Thanks.

Reply to
<jjs>

Would have made a fascinating project though it would have achieved less with more. Might have needed to put on an Alternator to supply all the power!. I just turfed out an old Microbee ( I,ll call it a computer for want of a better word) with no hard drive but 8 meg RAM. If I recall the more expensive version which I could,nt afford had 16 meg!. And your RM03 had

Reply to
John

I am pretty sure the units are 12V DC. I won't bother checking now that I realize it's a losing proposition.

Yeah, old RMO3 - we had a disc farm that alltogether isn't as much as I have RAM in my Mac (8 gig). Our real challenge was working within a 16K p-space under RSTS/e. But I digress.

Reply to
<jjs>

Nah, sounds like a fun little project, you already have the most expensive units.. Think of it as a project, not a way of solving the American economy...(Pun intended).

Sketch a design layout of the electrics first, go for a single carb, stock like setup, then move onto a dual carbs, or better think F.i.!!

Single throttle body or twin, most parts widely available in your neck of the crater. G.M. trucks swapped to fly by wire several years ago. Just rip out both ends of the hardware and you are good to go!

Would be neat to sync your bodies/carbs via a pot-meter..

Hail Mary.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg