Stuck heater cable -- 1974 VW Bus

I'm trying to replace the heater cables for my 1974 VW Bus. I've got the new cables, but I can't get the old cables out of the bus.

I disconnected the cables from the heater levers in the dashboard, and from the barrel clamps near at the heat boxes. They should just pull out, right? Well, they don't. I've really tugged and tugged (from the driver's end) and they really just won't budge.

What should I do?

TIA!

Reply to
robmcdan

Well, I got the left cable out (after an epic battle). I still can't get the right cable out -- the cable broke at the head (at the dashboard) and is really stuck in there -- tugging on it just breaks the cable more. I took a look under the chassis and didn't see any obvious damage to the guide tube....

I'm going to try to get some WD-40 in there with an air hose, but if that doesn't work I guess I'll just run the new heater cable along the old guide tube and clip it to the outside of the guide tube with cable ties?

Anyone have a better idea, short of cutting the guide tube and finding out what is sticking the cable? I suspect the PO might have had similar trouble, because they just wired the heat open with bailing wire (!) and didn't bother to replace the heater cables.

Reply to
robmcdan

Reply to
Wolfgang

| > I disconnected the cables from the heater levers in the dashboard, and | > from the barrel clamps near at the heat boxes. They should just pull | > out, right? Well, they don't. I've really tugged and tugged (from the | > driver's end) and they really just won't budge. | >

| > What should I do? | >

| > TIA! | | Well, I got the left cable out (after an epic battle). I still can't | get the right cable out -- the cable broke at the head (at the | dashboard) and is really stuck in there -- tugging on it just breaks | the cable more. I took a look under the chassis and didn't see any | obvious damage to the guide tube.... | | I'm going to try to get some WD-40 in there with an air hose, but if | that doesn't work I guess I'll just run the new heater cable along the | old guide tube and clip it to the outside of the guide tube with cable | ties? | | Anyone have a better idea, short of cutting the guide tube and finding | out what is sticking the cable? I suspect the PO might have had | similar trouble, because they just wired the heat open with bailing | wire (!) and didn't bother to replace the heater cables.

I've use air tool oil as a substitute for penetrating oil. Takes a while but I've had almost 100% success

Reply to
NotMe

also common auto trans fluid works quite well for releasing rust

Reply to
rreplica

| >| Well, I got the left cable out (after an epic battle). I still can't | >| get the right cable out -- the cable broke at the head (at the | >| dashboard) and is really stuck in there -- tugging on it just breaks | >| the cable more. I took a look under the chassis and didn't see any | >| obvious damage to the guide tube.... | >| | >| I'm going to try to get some WD-40 in there with an air hose, but if | >| that doesn't work I guess I'll just run the new heater cable along the | >| old guide tube and clip it to the outside of the guide tube with cable | >| ties? | >| | >| Anyone have a better idea, short of cutting the guide tube and finding | >| out what is sticking the cable? I suspect the PO might have had | >| similar trouble, because they just wired the heat open with bailing | >| wire (!) and didn't bother to replace the heater cables. | >

| >I've use air tool oil as a substitute for penetrating oil. Takes a while | >but I've had almost 100% success | >

| also common auto trans fluid works quite well for releasing rust

That's assuming the blockage is rust. As often as not it's dirt and old grease which tyranny fluid does not fully address where as air tool oil being light and viscous does.

Like I said I've used a lot of 'stuff' over the years and found air tool oil to the most effective.

Reply to
NotMe