Vacuum line - carb to dist.

I was thinking of replacing my vacuum advance line from my 34PICT3 to the SVDA dist. and recalled a friend's rock stock 71 bus with the original metal "up and over the float level" line. In understand why VW did this, but here's my question: Is the actual inside diameter of the line critical - not where it hooks up to the dist. or carb, but the actual line ID itself. More specifically, is the vacuum signal to the dist. the same with a 3/64" ID line vs. say a 3/32" ID line? TIA Bill.

Reply to
Bill

This is a case where size does not matter :-)

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

What is the reason for the "up and over the float level" routing of this vacuum line, and is it important? I just used a bit of rubber hose here...

Peace, Harry

Reply to
Harry Smith

It's an anti-siphon loop, to keep fuel droplets from being sucked into the vacuum chamber.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

It doesn't seem like there would be much in the way of flow there...is this something I need to worry about?

Thanks, Harry

Reply to
Harry Smith

Well, I wouldn't obsess over it :-)

Reply to
Speedy Jim

But keep in mind that VW made a tube for this 'problem'.

VW would not have spent the time on R&D and making and installing a not-needed part........

Reply to
Karl

This part is to prevent deterioration of the diaphragm in the vac cannister of the distributor.

Reply to
anton