Stupid Idiots ELECTRICAL Question

BackGround================ In our fleet we have some cars with aux lights... they don't have relays -- just switches with in-line fuses.

QUESTIONS================ Do you always need a relay in a lighting system?

What exactly is the relay supposed to do?

What problem exists if you don't put in a relay?

Why do I ask so many dumb questions?

REASON====== I'm getting ready to kick one of the bugs into action -- want to ensure I don't work backwards electrically.

Confession===== I didn't read Sir-Speedy's site to review this question.

Warm Regards.

Timmy

Reply to
MN AirHead

..................Here ya go:

Tim Rogers

As long as the wire is heavy enough for the lights and the switches rated for the Amps, no prob.

A relay is a remote control device; it allows you to use thinner wire to control a heavy load ( like lights) from a distance.

So, there is no "right" answer; you have to look at the app.

(Sir) Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks Jim and Tim.....

Tim... I almost forgot how to find Speedy's site

Speedy -- thanks for the smart answer. This answers why the KC lights have hot switches.

Follow up question....

I"m going to install some relays between the switches and the lights....

Is there one "unversal" size that works for lighting uses?

Timmy

Reply to
MN AirHead

Tim, i don't know which or if you have the chain autoparts stores near you , but most places that sell aftermarket lighting(offroad, and also driving/fog lights) also stock a 30amp relay in the same area.....

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue