86 1 Ton 22RE - Does It Have a Starter Relay?

Hi,

I'm working on a starting problem, and need to know if this truck has a relay between the ignition switch and the solenoid. The Chilton manual I have doesn't have schematics, but a diagram of the switches and relays in the cab and engine compartment doesn't show anything. I turn the crank and no cranking action, nothing. Wait a minute or two and it works fine.

I have to do one of two possible things. Check out the starter relay (if one exists) to make sure it is OK, and check the ignition switch (enough voltage to the solenoid). I have changed a bunch of stuff out (starters, battery, cables), and I don't think I have ever completely solved the problem (it doesn't happen very often).

I may just go with an additional starter relay in the engine compartment if I can't isolate this. I can get the Painless Hot Shot for about $27. I think my 20 year old wiring is showing its age; I think the wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid has too much resistance when the engine compartment is hot. I know, I know, this isn't a VW!

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Hey! I've got an 86 EFI pickup here and it's relay is located in the engine compartment bolted to the fender area across from the intake manifold.

4 wires coming out of it. I've had to clean points in it in the past. It's been acting up again and today i'll take your suggestion and replace it with a Hot Shot. Bill
Reply to
William Brown

Starter contacts wearing is normal problem with starter not working - parts are $10-15. See link:

Reply to
Wolfgang

Didn't find a relay on that side of the engine compartment. Found the Solenoid Resistor (part no. 28515-26030), and after checking I understand this is part of the EFI system. I'll check again, but don't think it is there.

So, I still don't think mine has a relay between the ignition switch and solenoid. Anything under the dash maybe (Chilton's didn't show anything)?

As for starter contacts, I doubt it; starter is a little over a year old, and came with solenoid. I'm on my 3rd starter in that many years, and I only put about 1,500 miles a year on this truck.

Be careful what you replace, and make sure it is what you think it is.

I still need some> Hey!

Reply to
Kevin

Thanks a lot, that is what I figured.