Syn Oil Consumption

After putting 2,000 miles on my new engine (1600cc Type 1 Beetle), I switched from Castrol petroleum to Amsoil 10-30 synthetic.

Prior to this switch last week, my engine used no oil. I put a little under

200 miles on the engine at normal highway speeds with the Amsoil, and used 1/2 pint. Any thoughts or theories on why, and is this likely to continue, or is it possibly a temporary "adjustment" to the new oil?
Reply to
Randall Brink

What weight was the Castrol? If it was thicker than 10W-30 this may be why.

I think that its normal for a new engine to use some oil during break-in though.

Randall Br> After putting 2,000 miles on my new engine (1600cc Type 1 Beetle), I

Reply to
Dane Tyler

The Castrol used for break-in (to 300 mi.) was straight 30W. After that, Castrol 20W 50.

Reply to
Randall Brink

Well, half a pint is hard to measure. If you were parked at a slight incline either way, the stick may read half a pint off. Too, I think that 10W30 is too thin for a VW engine unless you are in a colder climate. I use straight 30 weight, but I live in GA, and I've never had any problems with my engines.

So many factors...just keep an eye on it and if it gets to where its a quart (lower mark on dipstick) then that will be much more noticeable, or at least half a quart.

Randall Br> The Castrol used for break-in (to 300 mi.) was straight 30W. After that,

Reply to
Dane Tyler

Synthetic oil in a beetle? Are you sure the oil seals are compatible with synthetic, if not they will leak. I use 15/40 mineral oil from VW, it's cheap and has much higher rating than the oil that was put in it in 1969! Work great. In my transmission I have semi-sythetic 75/90 to help it in the mornings, very good for old gearbox's - all IMO of course.

--Steve

Reply to
Tunafish

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Actually, I must have been at a slight, imperceptible angle, because I checked it again at the filling station, and it was at exactly the "full" level. False alarm.

Reply to
Randall Brink

That's a good point about the seals. I don't know if my new engine was designed for synoil. I'll look into it.

Reply to
Randall Brink

Last year Hot VW's had a very good article on seals and synthtics. No problems.

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik