T1 generator stand

I've worked on 4cyl Porsche motors for many years and wonder why on these motors you can easily remove the generator/fan assembly while on T1 VW motors it's more difficult, due to the fact that the assembly must be lifted, as opposed to slid off as with the Porsche. The photo of the typical Porsche stand (link below) shows the rear slots which, when the front 2 bolts are removed, allows sliding away from the 2 rear studs (which remain in place). Any thoughts? I'm tempted to cut some slots in an old VW stand to try it, but it seems that after all these years and aftermarket modifications to these VW motors, there must be an obvious reason I'm missing....different metals, etc? TIA Bill

Bill

Usually the 912/356 engines don't have an intake manifold blocking the rear of the fan housing since they are equipped with dual carbs. And aren't the 12V generators of these Porsche engines smaller than the typical air-cooled VWs. IIRC the Porsche 12V generators are as small in diameters as the VW 6V generators.

dave AKA vwdoc1

So on the Porsche, the front studs are actually bolts that come out? Do you remember if they're straight into the case or if there are some helicoils or something like that?

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Even if you were able to break the strand loose like that, I would think the long horizontal intake manifold wouls still be in the way and it would not help you much. Interesting idea however, I am going to do that on my next build. (Dual carbs)

Jan

Reply to
Jan

On the Porsche, the forward (towards front of car) two studs stay on, the rear 2 are bolts. From what I can tell, the threads are cut directly into the alloy - no inserts visible. I suppose that the same can be accomplised on the VW by just removing the 4 studs and replacing them with accurately measured bolts. The beauty of the Porsche version is that the two studs serve as a locating aid when sliding the unit on. Also, I see the point re: single carb intake runner - forgot to mention that the 2 VW motors I have both are dual carb. As for the generator physical sizes, the Porsche units (there are 2

12v versions-lg & small - and the 6v) they're very close in size, if not exactly the same diameter on some versions. The VW alternator, of course, is a whole different story. Bill
Reply to
Bill

Ah, I was thinking you'd be able to slide the stand straight out but with the Porsche kind you have to tilt and slide it. Interesting.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

The Porsche version does all for pretty much sliding the assembly off to the rear. In this photo:

circled slot has the opening facing the front of the car...youjust slide it on until it stopson the slot. The only tilting I recall is to keep the gasket fromsliding around too much, but it was never a big problem.Bill.

Reply to
Bill