Testing the waters with my 1967 Bus

Thanks. Could you add a section for clubs?

Reply to
dull knife

We don't have that here, but there's a big auto shop at the HS, so maybe I should ask district officials about it. Good suggestion.

Reply to
dull knife

I'll think about it :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Links to clubs in the north west USA:

Jan Andersson

A more elegant way to cover the pop-top hole on the roof:

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Got it, thanks.

Hey, neato jet.

At least I could get the top fixed and painted.

Reply to
dull knife

I have a 65 bus here that's 12V and has the silver 12V sticker on the dash. Not factory?

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Several possibilities I can think of. One is that 12-volts was an option and people who didn't want to buy a 6-volt bus offa the lot waited for one to be shipped from the factory. Another possibility is your bus was bought in Europe, driven around on vacation, then imported as a used car to cut the duty. Yet another possibility is the bus was converted and the sticker you mentioned was bought OTC at a dealer parts dep't. Could it be that '67 was the first year that _ALL_ VW's were 12-volt and I thought it meant '67 was the first year of 12-volt?

Or nunna dem tings.

I suppose, too, that there are lots of '66 and earlier 12-volt bugs and buses around and I've never seen them. I carried a tools and spare parts and, like many splitty owners, pulled off the highway to help anyone with a '67 or earlier bug or bus. In 300,000+ miles over the better part of four decades I never once saw a pre-'67 12-volt bug or bus. My own '66 bug was 6-volts, and all of my friends who had bugs had 6-volt batteries in 'em. And nobody, not even once, ever challenged me when I said: "Last year of the body style ('67, that is), first year of 12-volt."

Doesn't prove anything, I know, apparently I've been wrong all of this time. Veeduber -Bob Hoover weighed in with information that agrees with you. I guess this is an example of the more I know the more I know I don't know.

Best wishes.

Reply to
dull knife