Thanks Jim, I think the brakes are fixed!

Hey all. I posted a while back wondering if loose wheel bearings could cause a bad brake squeal with disc brakes. Jim Adney stold me that was probably not the problem, and sent me a pair of VERY nice pads with the water groove, and a small amount of pad material on the back side too, to prevent squealing. Well, SO FAR they seem to be working. I really won't know for sure until I drive the car up the mountain road by my house, and fly back down, hammering the brakes to get 'em good and hot.

For now, the problem seems to be fixed. On light application of the brakes, there is a short very high-pitched squeak that does not last very long, but I can live with that. Almost every SUV I've ever driven makes a sound like that when stopping.

Thanks Jim!

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Hey thanks for the followup. I'll try different pads if mine starts squealing again.

Reply to
Vic20Owner

Unless your rotors are new, and perfectly flat, you should wear in the pads a bit bofore you do any serious braking with them. You just want to make sure that the pad is contacting the whole surface, not just one or two high spots on the rotor.

They should eventually be completely quiet.

BTW, I think the material on the back of the pad is not friction material. The OE pads had this, too, and it was supposed to be some kind of damping material, which was one reason why I thought they might help your noise problem.

-

Jim Adney

OK, well I'll drive the car easy for a while to break in the new pads. The rotors are very flat becuase they're not very old. You're right, the material on the back is probably not fricition material, but whatever it is, I can see how it would absorb the vibrations that would cause squealing. Anyway, still not having problems.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony