brake squeal

my 99 camry w/4wheel discs squeals when backing up but has never ever done it while driving forward....is this just brake dust or a weird wear indicator or what?????? there is 3/16-1/4" of pad left after 90,000 miles....still plenty I assume..

Reply to
Richard Bailey

A new set of disc pads have nearly 3/4 of an inch of pad to start with.

3/16 of an inch is very thin. I would be thinking of a new set of pads..
Reply to
ROBMURR

The very absolute minimum used to 1/8" (GM specs for a compact), anything less than that cab result in boiling fluid(the pad material acts as an insulator to stop disc-heat reaching the fluid in the caliper) but I usually do them at 3/16"-1/4" or so. Squealing is very annoying and usually is caused by the anti-squeal shim missing, scores in the disc surface(s), dust and anything that reduces a perfect 100% contact.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James