The History Channel

Did anyone catch the Full Throttle special on the history channel where they did a stock engine swap for humongo Scat racing engines on two '67 beetles? The cars themselves looked totally restored and awesome and then them put these HUGE scat engines in the and then raced against eachother with the winners taking both cars. Made me feel thoroughly jealous and inadequate. :P

Reply to
Mike C.

The 2165 cc ( 78mm stroke, 94mm bore) Scat "turn-key" engines, were used in conjunction with Rancho Performance Transaxles "Pro-Comp" transaxles, that had a 4.12 ring and pinion, and very short gears for drag racing. There was a lot of stuff that happened that did not make it to the TV screen, such as both cars being at a well-known SoCal VW shop a night or two beofre the actual race, getting a transaxle intermediate mount (so the nose cone doesn't come up through the rear seat during the launch), new ball joints, drilled and drained front shocks, and a re-worked rear suspension. As well, the taller, dark haired cop had been a member of a VW club back in the early 1990's, along with some friends of mine, who remember him, so when he said he had had "more VWs than I can remember" he was telling the truth. He's the same one that said "I can't believe I'm working on a frickin Volkswagen again"...Another interesting fact- the person who told me this (and he would know, since he did all the suspension and intermediate mount work right before the race at the well-known VW shop) also said the taller cop, who had been in a VW club, told him if he won the challenge, the blue car would get sold to my friend, turn-key, for $3,000.00 After the show, however, the policeman had second thoughts, and reneged on the deal. Shoot, that Pro-Comp trans alone will set you back $1,200-$1,500, depending on what gears and mainshaft you want.... A lot of errors in that show (I guess, since the spare tire lays flat on on the gas tank, those must have been those super-secret, Lower Slobovia Delivery-Only, '67 Super Beetles, lol) and inaacurate engine pulling times (they said something like 8 minutes, and I know the team that had an engine out AND BACK IN in 2 minutes,

17 seconds) and other things (I'll let the dual port heads in '67 slide, cause technically, they are correct, you got them in '68 in Type 3's here, so they actually hit our shores in '67) but all in all, I thought it was a pretty good show, and not nearly the massacre of the VW hobby I thought it would be.
Reply to
Kaferdave

Wierd setup. :) What were there times?

Reply to
jjs

trips back and fourth from the service stations.

Roast Leg of Amputee

By all means, substitute lamb or a good beef roast if the haunch it is in any way diseased. But sometimes surgeons make mistakes, and if a healthy young limb is at hand, then don?t hesitate to cook it to perfection!

1 high quality limb, rack, or roast Potatoes, carrot Oil celery onions green onions parsley garlic salt, pepper, etc 2 cups beef stock

Marinate meat (optional, not necessary with better cuts). Season liberally and lace with garlic cloves by making incisions, and placing whole cloves deep into the meat. Grease a baking pan, and fill with a thick bed of onions, celery, green onions, and parsley. Place roast on top with fat side up. Place uncovered in 500° oven for 20 minutes, reduce oven to 325°. Bake till medium rare (150°) and let roast rest. Pour stock over onions and drippings, carve the meat and place the slices in the au jus.

Bisque à l?Enfant

Honor the memory of Grandma with this dish by utilizing her good silver soup tureen and her great grandchildren (crawfish, crab or lobster will work just as well, however this dish is classically made with crawfish).

Stuffed infant heads, stuffed crawfish heads, stuffed crab or lobster shells; make patties if shell or head is not available (such as with packaged crawfish, crab, or headless baby). Flour oil onions bell peppers garlic salt, pepper, etc.

3 cups chicken stock 2 sticks butter 3 tablespoons oil

First stuff the heads, or make the patties (see index) then fry or bake. Set aside to drain on paper towels. Make a roux with butter, oil and flour, brown vegetables in the roux, then add chicken stock and allow to simmer for 20 minutes. Add the patties or stuffed heads, and some loose crawfish, lobster, long piglet, or what have you. Cook on low for 15 minutes, then allow it to set for at least 15 minutes more. Serve over steamed rice;

Reply to
Kaferdave

Soup

SIDS: delicious in winter, comparable to old fashioned Beef and Vegetable Soup. Its free, you can sell the crib, baby clothes, toys, stroller... and so easy to procure if such a lucky find is at hand (just pick him up from the crib and he?s good to go)!

SIDS victim, cleaned ½ cup cooking oil Carrots onions broccoli whole cabbage fresh green beans potato turnip celery tomato ½ stick butter

1 cup cooked pasta (macaroni, shells, etc.)

Remove as much meat as possible, cube, and brown in hot oil. Add a little water, season, then add the carcass. Simmer for half an hour keeping the stock thick. Remove the carcass and add the vegetables slowly to the stock, so that it remains boiling the whole time. Cover the pot and simmer till vegetables are tender (2 hours approximately). Continue seasoning to taste. Before serving, add butter and pasta, serve piping with hot bread and butter.

Offspring Rolls

Similar to Vietnamese style fried rolls, they have lots of meat (of course this can consist of chicken, beef, pork, or shrimp). Who can resist this classic appetizer; or light lunch served with a fresh salad? Versatility is probably this recipe?s greatest virtue, as one can use the best part of a prime, rare, yearling, or the morticians occasional horror: a small miracle stopped short by a drunk driver, or the innocent victim of a drive-by shooting...

2 cups finely chopped very young human flesh 1 cup shredded cabbage 1 cup bean sprouts 5 sprigs green onion, finely chopped 5 cloves minced garlic 4-6 ounces bamboo shoots Sherry chicken broth oil for deep frying (1 gallon) Salt pepper soy & teriyaki minced ginger, etc. 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in a little cold water 1 egg beaten

Make the stuffing: Marinate the fl

Reply to
Mike C.

mix each of the other ingredients. Make balls about the size of a baby?s fist (there should be one lying around for reference). Bake at 400°for about 25 minutes - or you could fry them in olive oil. Place the meatballs in the tomato gravy, and simmer for several hours. Serve on spaghetti. Accompany with green salad, garlic bread and red wine.

Newborn Parmesan

This classic Sicilian cuisine can easily be turned into Eggplant Parmesan If you are planning a vegetarian meal. Or you could just as well use veal - after all, you have to be careful - Sicilians are touchy about their young family members...

6 newborn or veal cutlets Tomato gravy (see index) 4 cups mozzarella, 1cup parmesan, 1cup romano Seasoned bread crumbs mixed with parmesan romano salt pepper oregano garlic powder chopped parsley Flour eggwash (eggs and milk) Peanut oil for frying.

Pound the cutlets. Dredge in flour, eggs, then the bread crumb mixture. Fry till golden brown in 350° peanut oil. In a baking pan, place a layer of gravy, then one of meat, gravy, and cheese. Another layer each of meat, gravy, and cheese. Then bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Serve on hot pasta with romano cheese.

Southern Fried Small-fry

Tastes like fried chicken, which works just

Reply to
jjs

John, the best either of the cars mustered was a 14.50-something. I KNOW those cars, with that engine, that transaxle, and a competent driver, at full weight, say, 1,850 pounds, should have made an easy mid-13 pass.

Reply to
Kaferdave

Damn. Makes me wonder what my engine would have done.

Reply to
jjs

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Kaferdave) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m12.aol.com:

Wow. That's faster than these speeding bullets: Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, Mazda 3, Toyota Matrix SRS & Ford SVT Focus, which are high

15s to 16 and a smidgeon (C&D, Jan '04).
Reply to
cloud8

It was on the History Channel again last night. I'm seriously considering updating my 40hp 1200cc engine to a high powered turn-key engine.

I've been away for a bit. Is John at aircooled.net still the best person to go to for an engine?

Reply to
michelle

I believe John to be a very good and safe source of good quality parts and service. There is an old saying I used years ago and it is very true, "Buy the best and only cry once". Dennis

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik