The Sounds of Fweem

Have not had a Beetle for a while, but pulled up next to one at a stoplight the other day. Could tell it was a 73 with the shiny new peashooter exhaust, large tailights and non shock absorbing bumpers. Don't know why but I rolled down the window and waited from him to pull away first, just to hear the sound. I guess it never gets out of your system. I would like to get a Beetle one of these days, but now is not a good time to ask the wife because I just got a new daily driver in the last couple of weeks. Got a used 2007 Honda Element with a 5 speed and 27000 miles. It is a nice vehicle to haul around bikes and the 3 dogs etc. I wanted a 5 speed and found one for sale

10 minutes from my house. by a priviate owner on Auto Trader. The next closest stick shift Element was at a dealer over 100 miles away. I guess not that many people are driving sticks anymore with the cell phones and other electronic distractions they have to contend with while driving.
Reply to
Bill Berckman

A number of years ago..probably 7 by now...I bought brand new tail pipes for my 74 super. I was shocked at how much better the engine sounded with brand new tailpipes. The Fweem was just awesome. And with a good tune and properly adjusted valves, the sound of the VW engine is very distinct.

I sure don't see many of them on the road anymore these days. But I'm going to keep mine road-worthy as long as I possibly can.....

Best,

Chris

Reply to
halatos

I'm

I have a 1973 Beetle. It has been almost 3 years since I replace the brake light switches. I had better get two more to have them ready.

Reply to
Jim Ed

I'm

I have a classic Beetle. It has been almost three years since I have replaced the brake light switches. I had better get a pair to have them ready. It seems they go out every 39 months or so.

Reply to
Jim Ed

There are lots of aircooled VW's on the road in Portland. I drive a '73 Super, orange. I regularly see other orange '73 Supers going by. I can't walk the dog in my neighborhood without seeing an aircooled VW in someone's driveway. I have no trouble getting parts now, but I have a small inventory of spares in case of apocalypse, including a spare dashboard. My daily driver is a bicycle, but the Super is my Saturday driver. I drive it to Seattle witihout hesitation. No major trouble since I rebuilt the engine in 1996. I just put in disc brakes on the front, so now it fweems and stops quite well. People ask me, "Is that old bug still running." I look puzzled and ask, "Why would it not?"

Fweem is alive and well here.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike_Rees