Tire pressures

I have a 1970 bug with 165-15's all around. What is the correct tire pressure for these tires?

Reply to
VAHairballs

run 30 in the rear, and 20-22 in the front.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

John, would it be the same for all vw beetles with 165-15 tires, say a 1966 1300? I just purchased one, and couldn't remember the tire pressure from 20+ years ago. Somewhere in the back of my mind I have 26-28psi rear, 20-22 front for the '66. Gosh it's been so long,

-tom

Reply to
Tom Nakashima

yes. Super beetles run 2psi more in the front.

It's written on the inside of the glovebox door, and in the owners manual.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

with BRM's frt. 145x15 -18-20lbs. 185 rear i use 28lbs.

Reply to
bill may

I bookmarked this some time ago. Maybe it will help?

Shag

I just go by the tire's recommended pressure. The tires available today aren't the same as the tires available back during the bug's heyday.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Michael,

the "recommended pressure" on the tire sidewall is a LIMIT to not go over, it's not the recommended pressure. Running the pressures I listed for 165s will result in a much better ride, and much safer to boot.

I run 24psi with 135s in the front. If you jump up to 195s you have to drop pressure to around 18psi.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

the tire does not recommend a pressure...it gives details of max load and max pressure....ideal pressure is based on rim width, load, temperature, and style of tire.....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I believe you'll find he was referring to the pressure actually needed for the tire as opposed to the pressure recommended by the car manufacturer for the original equipment tires, which may not be correct for new tires. For example, I just replaced the tires on my Toyota. The original tires had a maximum inflation of 36 psi with 32 psi front and 30 psi rear recommended by Toyota. The new tires I put on had a maximum inflation of

44psi (same size tire as original) but you would never want to try driving around with 32/30 psi in them. 40 front and 38 rear would be closer to correct depending on the vehicles load.

--

'64 sunroof Beetle '55 semaphore Beetle

Reply to
Mike64Bug

as i said "....ideal pressure is based on rim width, load, temperature, and style of tire....."

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

John's right, but the sidewall doesn't even say "recommended pressure." It says "Maximum Pressure."

-

Jim Adney