transaxle break-in procedures, proper gear oil?

zero-mile rebuild already from the shop. I'm going to pick it up today. I'll ask those guys about break-in, but I want to ask you guys, too.

Bently manual says to replace the gear oil after 600 miles for the initial break-in (page 10-13). I was thinking the Amsoil Synthetic Gear Lube SAE

75W-90. It's MT-1 rated, so it doesn't have the GL-5 sulphur content that eats the synchros.

Is a synthetic OK for break-in?

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Found-out that synth isn't needed for break-in as the transaxle was assembled with white lithium grease packed in the bearings. It would be a waste of money to use the synth oil for washing away the grease.

Found-out an interesting thing. Some guys that assemble automatic trannys and use white lithium grease most likely don't know that ATF doesn't dissolve it. Think oil and water.. Ron says vaseline is best for automatics as ATF washes it away instantly.

Reply to
David Gravereaux