Tuning numbers and tailpipe length

So here's the problem:

It's a '74 Super Beetle (carb, not FI) but it has a '71 Cal. 1600 DP in it (or at least so says the book that lists the engine year/serial numbers). So, do I tune it to the '74 numbers or the '71 numbers? And after replacing the tailpipes, should they stick out of the muffler the length listed in Bentley's for a '71 or a '74? There is a big difference in this length, and the book says it's important to get it right!

BTW, what is the difference between the Federal and the California models for 74? It seems to have a standard muffler (no EGR connection), nor any special smog devices. It has a single heat riser tube, not the double.

-Autostick, too.

Thanks for any help in advance,

Rich

Reply to
Richard Golding

sounds like you have a rebuilt case. case numbers mean little anymore unless you know for a fact that it is the original engine for the vehicle and has never been torn down the case id means very little in the 1600 cases. you probably have a rebuild based on the cal case. to tune it you are going to have to look at what distributor is on it. if it has an 009 on it set it for 009 specs. if it has the dual vac set for dual vac and if single vac set for single vac. and make sure the carbs are balanced. jimt

Reply to
NOMAIL

To the tail pipe problem: it does not matter which year model you have, you will do it with the same procedure. The Bentley just gives the instructions in a confusing manner and it speaks a lot about different measures and year models. All you need=20 is a steel tape measure your tail pipes and one measure:

1/4 inches.

Below a simpler version of the Bentley instructions I posted here in January.

Shortened from Bentley:

1) Measure the lenght of your new tail pipes. 2) Insert the left tail pipe. Insert a steel tape measure inside the=20 tail pipe so that the 0-end contacts the preheating pipe inside the muffler. 3) Adjust the tail pipe so that the outer edge aligns with the graduation of the lenght of the tail pipe minus 1/4 inches. (Example: If the tail pipes are 10 inches long, the outer edge will have to be in 9 3/4 inch mark in the measure.) 4) Put the right pipe in so that it is out the same amount from the muffler as the left one is after the adjustment.
Reply to
Olli Lammi

This seems like a pretty neat distillation of the problem, but in #2, don't you mean PLUS? Otherwise it seems that you are saying to push it in 1/4" more deeply than there is room for it.

I gather that you want to just put it in there with 1/4" to spare.

-

Jim Adney

Checked. The Bentley tells it like that. I think the head of the preheating pipe is supposed to go in the peashooter for 1/4".

Reply to
Olli Lammi