71 Beetle Stalling

I have a 1971 Beetle that I bought a year ago. Recently, I have noticed that it will die (on an irregular basis) when I take it out of second gear. It ALWAYS starts right back up.

It seems just like when a car is cold and it dies, except that it's not cold. It's happening quite often now. this is my first VW Beetle. I am used to old cars, but I have never delt with the unique nature of the Beetle ar aircooled engines.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated......

Brian

Reply to
Caprock Drill Design

Idle mixture may be too lean, timing could be off a hair, manifold vacuum leak, carb flooding due to needle valve not seating...

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

i am a newbie here and with vw's in general, but that is what my bus would do after i initially got it to idle at all. i ended up having to clean a bunch of buildup out of the carb throat right where the butterfly valve 'seats' in its closed position. the butterfly was not able to close enough to create enough vacuum to activate the idle circuit. when restarting the engine, it would then oftentimes idle alright but not great. that is, until i came to the next red light. then it would repeat.

just a thought, served up with a grain of salt.

-mik/71 type2 seattle

Reply to
automatictransgression

I once had a problem that sounds the same: 'Vapour Lock', the fuel is boiling in the carb. when overheating... Could this also be the problem here with Brian??

Roger

"Speedy Jim" schreef > >

Reply to
Bug59

Fuel boiling in the carb bowl is in fact a common problem during summer temperatures and with a hot engine bay. It causes flooding and could be his problem.

What we call "vapor lock" over here relates to fuel "boiling" in the intake line to the fuel pump or in the pump. The pump is unable to pump "vapor" and thus no fuel gets to the carb. Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim