update "engine running rough"

Hi all,

some weeks (months?) ago I posted a couple of Questions about my engine running rough and dying. Changed carb and kept fiddling with the mixture, nothing helped although the carb change was a big improvement. Bob H. mentioned it might have nothing to do with the carb (concidering my story) and look further. So I went to a shop and asked a guy to help me out.

Turned out the timing was waaay of. I timed it a while ago with a hobby strob and thought I had it spot on. Engine ran good (then) and no backfiring when accelerating. Guess the strob was the culprit, or me connecting it wrong, because every time I wanted to trigger the light the engine stalled. (it flashed very dim when not triggered, so i timed it in a dark garage)

Any way, the engine runs much better but still wants to stall in it's warming up period. The mechanic mentioned also that the engine might have lack of compression since the starter runs very fast when crancking. I haven't done a compression test yet or a leakdown test. I adjusted the valves and found one valve without any clearance. This could be the beginning of the end, right?

Just wanted to let you all know, 'cause I appreciated all the help I received back then.

Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Hi Roger, I got a '69 beetle which runs fine at speed but stalls if left at idle for any time,ie come up to a set of lights and the engine just dies. I was convinced it was the timing but set that and the points all to no avail so tried to set the carb as in haynes but still no good.seems to run fine with top butterfly v/v (choke?) shut nearly all the way but this moves about of its own accord when driving so the problem just re -occurs! Am at end of my rope! any help appreciated!

paul.

bug '59 wrote:

Reply to
muziksmig via CarKB.com

Dear Roger,

While the symptom of zero clearance can mean several things, none of them are good with an engine of that vintage, which was known for incompatibility problems between the cam & cam-followers.

The wiser course may be to park it while you line-up a replacement engine, then simply plug in the replacement.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
BobHoover

Dear Bob,

indeed I don't think the engine will last another year. Not sure why, doom thinking maybe. And sometimes weird sounds in the back :) I've been thinking on replacing the engine. That or rebuilding it. Although rebuilding requires some skill and knowledge of engines which i have not or at least very little (but you might have guessed that already).

So my best bet is to drive it while purchasing a new one. Unfortunately; most likely time will pass before I actually put money where my mouth is. Hopefully not too late, or I will learn it the hard way, so i can try to rebuild this one for spare Again, thank you and others who have helped me before, I will need some more in the future. :o)

Roger

Reply to
bug '59

"muziksmig via CarKB.com" schreef in bericht news:704a347cf7254@uwe...

Hi Paul,

Before i've been pointed out to search outside the fuel delivery I've checked everything they mentioned in your original post. Also do a search on this topic at:

Good luck and share your results. Roger

Reply to
bug '59

It is really not all that hard to rebuild the engines if you have a VW Beetle repair book... sort of like following a cook book recipe. If you find a machine shop to handle the heads, and maybe even somebody to re-ring it for you, it isn't bad at all. Otherwise, why put off the inevitable? If you drive it until it dies, you have a pile of junk that used to be the engine, and the stress if it siezes could mess up your drive train... towing at least.... lots of wasted $$! Get the engine NOW and then maybe some shade tree mechanic could rebuild the engine.

Besides, if it turns out that the current engine is the "original" one, then rebuilding it would DEFINITELY be good since you could have a "matched car".

Reply to
KWW

I would recommend adjusting valves AFTER checking the torque of the lower cylinder head nuts. Run the engine for awhile and recheck the valve stem clearance. Of course you are checking the clearance when the engine is cold. ;-)

You might just need cylinder heads which you could replace in a day or two. Compression check might help determine what you are looking at doing to your engine.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

that is usually a sign that you could have an intake air leak....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

well it's not that hard to assemble an engine....but most hobbyists don't even have the proper tools for measuring and the know how to "build" a vw engine.... but the engine is amazingly forgiving, in stock/mild form... so lots of folks ride around with a big smile saying to themselves "it runs great and *I* rebuilt it".... or assembled, or whatever..

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a vacuum leak at the carb throttle shaft (common for old stock carbs).

Use some carb cleaner or WD40 and spray around the carb throttle shaft ends while the engine is idling. I had to partially close my choke which opens the throttle up a bit and raises the idle. If you spray on/near a leak it will draw in the carb cleaner and richen then intake mixture for a moment. The engine rpm should rise. You can also spray around the base of the carb, the intake to end casting boots and the intake to head flange. If the rpm goes up while your spray these spots you have leak that needs to be fixed (new gasket/boot). Also check any hoses that run from the carb. If these are leaking you will have a vacuum leak as well. It doesn't take a big leak to affect the idle quality.

Alternatively, you could have some dirt in the idle circuit of the carb preventing fuel from flowing at low engine speeds. You might be able to clear this out by removing the mixture and bypass screws (not sure if your carb has both) and spraying them and flushing their holes w/ carb cleaner.

Good luck!

AshMan40

Reply to
AshMan

True. They are forgiving. This last time I wanted to do it right so I measured and weighed things. It was a bitch finding something to accurately weigh the connecting rods and pistons - finally dug out a balance beam baby scales my folks gave us when my kids were small (heck, they had used it on my siblings and me for that matter).... even then it was hard to eliminate all the "noise" in the weighing. I still chickened out on the heads and had someone with a shop do them for me.

Reply to
KWW

would a postal scale work? Digital is even better. ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

the extra time spent on the details will pay large dividends in longevity and even power output....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

accuracy is the main concern....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

"KWW" schreef in bericht news:4616ec32$0$27113$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com...

Yes i know it is best to be ahead of problems and if needed buy a new one but... Time is in this case the reason. Better said, lack of time. I still have a 30 hp engine which I have to build in into my '59. It's sitting in the garage for about 2,5 years now :( I even have a discbrake kit which needs to be installed on my '73

Sigh, and the wife is complaining why I'm not finnishing the attick after 2 (!) years

24 hours are just not enough for one day (lol)

Thanks for the advice all, I try to live up to it :) Roger

Reply to
bug '59

I had the craziest symptoms on my Type IV engine. As Bob H said, the engine tells the truth, but you have to figure out how to interpret what it's trying to tell you.

Engine would idle fine. Rev it, and the revs stay high for quite a while, then it drops again. Almost typical vacuum leak symptoms, except intermittent.

I eventually found out that it was sucking air through the dipstick tube (which is sealed on a T4 but wasn't in my setup) -- but only when the oil level was low enough.

So rev the engine, it pumps oil, oil level drops below the dipstick tube, crank is open to air, crank ventilation system leaks air into fool rejection system, fool rejection sees this and adds fuel, revs go up.

Sealed the dipstick tube and that problem went away :-)

Reply to
samizdatabase