beetle idle problems

Hi all, mine sounds similar to last post but heres the scoop. '69 beetle runs fine at speed but idle is all over until it dies.If I come up to a set of lights after speed and drop to neutral engine usually just dies. starts up again usually straight away but its got my head done in! I have set timing and points,renewed plugs,leads,fanbelt, tried setting carb to haynes reccommended (34 pict 3)setting but nothing unless I set the top butterfly on carb(choke?) to almost shut then it will idle no prob but high revs.HELP! seriously- all help gratefully received-cheers in advance!

paul

Reply to
muziksmig via CarKB.com
34 pict 3 means a dual port engine usually and was not stock in your '69 Beetle if in the USA. Take out the idle jet on the side of the carb over the generator and clean out the debris in that jet. I use a fine wire to pick out debris of the center hole.

Also make sure your electromagnetic shutoff clicks on and off with power and is tight on the carb. I turn the ign on and take off the shutoff wire and touch it to the terminal to hear the click.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

sure sounds like an air leak. vacuum. dirt in the idle jet? a quick fix? have someone keep it running while you put your hand over carb. throat. air cleaner off, of course. then restart it right away. hand off. that should clean some passages out. good luck. g/

Reply to
Karma Ghia

Check for gas flowing into the top at idle, provided it will idle much. And check for heavy gas smell and black smoke. Mine did this and it was a bad float that kept overflowing gas into the throat. It would run fine on the road, then die at any stop. It would start back up and drive fine for a while, but die as soon as I stopped.

Opinion here: Disregard as you like.

Here's what I've learned about 34 PICT 3 carbs. Look on the side. If it says Brosol on it, pull it and put it in a dumpster or use it for a paper weight. Yes, I can already hear you yelling, "That's still Solex!" Well, not exactly. I've taken several out of the box and they would NEVER tune. Toss 'em, get an original carb that actually says Solex on it... perfect! You can't polish a turd.

Shane

muziksmig via CarKB.com wrote:

Reply to
Shane Stroud

I had a similar problem a few years ago with mine. I adjusted the carb according to Muir. It almost worked. It was not until I re- adjusted the valves twice (the second time was a few hundred miles after the first) that the idle worked good. I never had that problem again and don't know for sure what fixed it but the story and results are accurate. Dennis

Reply to
Dennis