Re: Fuel Vapor line install?

Ok, I'm finished with the install. One of the posts mentioned that I just read says the vapor eventually go from the tank and to the canister and sent through the intake. My canister is currently not connected to the intake. Is this a problem? Should I plug the ports on the tank? The vehicle runs fine, but I'm not sure if the gas smell is from me purging all the line prior to various connnections or if it's from the canister line? It's not under the hood as far as I can tell. If the canister was connected to the intake, would it be on the carb (Carter 1bbl) and to which port? or would it be directly connected to the manifold?

Reply to
Paul Brogren

The canister can be one of two types. One has a small vacuum line on it and a round valve on the top to turn it on, the other only has 3 lines.

If you have the 4 line version, (carb float bowl, gas tank, purge line and purge signal vacuum line) then it's purge line should T into the PCV system. Some have the T behind the carb, some have a PCV with two nipples on the top and the canister line hooks in there. It uses a ported vacuum line via the CTO valve so it only sucks when the engine is hot and at speed, if it sucks at idle, the valve is dead.

If you have the 3 line one, no small vacuum line purge signal, the purge line goes into the snorkel on the air filter usually.

The canister also has an air filter on the bottom of it. Getting the first one out is a bugger of a job, but the new one is only a couple bucks and tucks back in the rim with a screwdriver.

I have heard of a couple that unscrew in the middle to get at the filter, but have never seen one.

If the filter gets plugged up, mud does them in fast, a vacuum will get put on the carb float bowl and gas tank causing it to act like it is starving for fuel up to the point of imitating running out of gas totally.

When my filter is plugged and I crack the gas cap open, my idle immediately jumps up and mellows out.

Mike

Paul Brogren wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain