VW maintenance shops

This is just a general question to all of you about the shops in your area. All of those in the Houston Area that I am aware of or have been to, don't make you feel too at ease about leaving your car with them. All are a big mess, junk everywhere, dark garage interior, junked partially disected cars everywhere. In general a big mess. Why?

Just curious,Mike

Reply to
Mike West

You mean I'm not the only one...lol

I don't think I can answer for all shops but I can tell you what goes on at Vintage Werks Restorations

I try to store and keep as many good useable original parts to repair customers cars, and only have a small amount of parts storage space so it gets clutered at times. As far as haveing junk disected cars, I find there is always sumeting off the parts cars that can be used, even if its just pieces of original sheet metal to patch restoration projects. I will admit that I will turn off lights when not needed but compared to the $80 dollars an hour the VW dealership gets, it takes conserving where I can to keep prices down. The Interior of my shop is clean enough that the wife to be walks around the inside bare foot. I'm not sure what you concider a big mess but in general I try to keep thing as orderly as possible and still keep up with the amount of work I have been flooded with. I don't think I have had anyone make comments about being to worried about leaving their cars with me.

Reply to
Kafertoys

It could be a sign of overworked mechanic, no time to clean up..

But I'm that way naturally, I work long hours and don't bother to clean up until after each project is done and out of the garage again. It is easier for me to find teh tools in the morning, if I let them sit right where I needed them the night before, so I can finish the job faster.

In between projects, there's time to clean, *if* I don't have a huge line of cars waiting for their turn. Good shops usually do... no time to clean.

The bench they build engines and transmissions on, should be clean though. Can't have any dirt on it, or even near it where wind or air tools might throw it around.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I can asure you that Jan garage is clean enought becasue I have see pictures of it LOL

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

The three I am aware of here in the Houston Texas area look like disaster areas!

Mike

Reply to
Mike West