What Is the Best Fuel Pump for Ethanol Gas?

My Beetle=92s engine stalled today while I was on the highway.

First I thought it was caused by vapor lock.

I waited for it to cool off.

In an attempt to cool it off, I even squirted some yellow liquid on it when no vehicles were coming .

Fuel was getting to the fuel pump but, it would not pump.

Maybe the fuel pump push rod had worn down and there was not enough pressure to pump the gas.

Maybe the ethanol gas had worn a hole in the fuel pumps=92 diaphragm.

Maybe I will start carrying a spare fuel pump, block, and push rod and replace it every three years and check the fuel pump pressure once a year.

What could it be?

What about the electric fuel pumps? Are they any more reliable? I suppose they would wear out just as fast with the ethanol gas.

Any help is appreciated!

Reply to
Jim Ed

Push rod hadn,t jammed in block?. Definitely wasn,t ignition issues? Fuel filter not blocked?. On my cars vapour lock didn,t occur when running but after I stop a while and the heat rises. Wont start then. Pump could be just .........ed. John

Reply to
John

if you have a mech pump you have a vehicle that has got to be close to

30 years old MINIMUM - that's byond the design life of any fuel pump

check your oil, if it smells like fuel, change it

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

This is a 1973 Beetle. I installed the fuel pump in March 2008.

I will check it today or tomorrow. I really think it is a worn push rod.

How many bakelight gaskets go on top of the fuel pump? Correct me if I am wrong. Fuel pump pressure should be 3.5 to 5 p.s.i.? TIA!

Reply to
Jim Ed

I don't know the answer to your last question, but is the FP rebuildable? or is it a sealed unit? If the former you may be able to buy a new diaphragm made from modern alcohol-resistant materials. "the cellar" is one source.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

2.8 psi maximum delivery pressure for models from 1960 to 1968 according to my 1968 "Without Guesswork". Older engines had a lower maximum (1.8 or 2.5 psi).

John

Reply to
John Henderson

I found a 1972 copy of "Without Guesswork" online, and it gives a maximum of 3-5 psi for that year's type 1 engines. So that's likely right for yours.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

I looked up the specs for my 1973 Beetle with alternator.

The pushrod maximum stroke should be 5 mm. The fuel pump pressure should be 3 to 5 p.s.i.

I am going to try replacing the pushrod and setting the stroke to 5 mm. Then if that doesn't work, I am going to try an old fuel pump I have sitting on the shelf.

Then later on I plan to inspect or replace the pushrod once a year and replace the fuel pump every 3 to 5 years.

Reply to
Jim Ed

If the pushrod doesn't last, it's poor quality. I'd expect

100,000 miles minimum from the original.

Pump diaphrams might not last that long, and are not hard to replace. Some might not tolerate ethanol very well.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

Yep. I do not recall ever having a pushrod wear out on a Beetle. The engine will need rebuilding first. You can usually adjust the height it throws with gaskets/shims anyway. KWW

65 Beetle The IOC 64 Beetle The Blue Wave
Reply to
G_Group

Another common point of failure is the set of valves (controlling the direction of fuel flow - tank to carby) built in to the fuel pump upper body.

The upper fuel pump body is/was available as a separate part.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

Today I ordered a replacement mechanical fuel pump from aircooled.net. They recommend packing it with universal grease. What is a good brand to get? TIA!

Reply to
Jim Ed