fuel pump problem

My new mechanical fuel pump is not pumoing enoug gas to the carb to keep my bug running. I have tried two pumps and still have the same probklem with apparent fuel starvation. I pulled the line and started the car and get just a trickle of gas. I measured the height of the pump rod and it is a shade under .5". I am assuming this is likely the problem, but the pump rod is brand new. Did VW make two different lenghts? I am running a Brosol Mexican fuel pump, the alternator type I think, vs the OG German type with the servicable filter. If all pump rods are the same what could I do to fix this? I was thinking of removing some of the material on the pump base.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

Yes but how is the pump on vacuum? You could measure it's pull with a vacuum gauge at the pump and also at the front line at the tank. Vacuum should hold for a period of time I would suspect a problem with the lines to the tank or a clogged screen in the gas tank. Lines or hoses may have holes in them. Blow through the line from the fuel pump to the gas tank with a little compressed air. Removing the gas cap is advised if the tank is not full.

Are you using the correct pushrod for the pump? Two different pumps have different length pushrods. :-)

dave

i believe that a longer rod was used when the fuel pump was on an engine with an alternator.

Reply to
paul horvath

ya, like the girls have been tellign you , you need a longer rod...if you have the alternator type. Also there are some crappy made ones. made from pot metal that will mushroom down very fast. I good one is high in carbon and will be hard to nick it with a file.

Reply to
Tim

"Braukuche" wrote

The rod for an angled `alternator' fuel pump is shorter than for the upright `generator' style pump.

I just checked the Bentley and it states that the rod for the angled pump is

100mm (3.93") vs. 108mm (4.25") for the generator style pump.

hth

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H.

Scott is right on with the shorter rod for the alternator style fuel pump (angled).

sounds like you found the problem with the NEW fuel pump pushrod on the generator type fuel pump (straight). IT MAY BE TOO SHORT TO OPERATE THE FUEL PUMP CORRECTLY! Measure the pushrod and either get the correct fuel pump or the correct pushrod or a matched set of both!

dave

Turns out the fuel line was partially plugged. I was getting gas through it but not at enough volume to keep up with the pump. I ran a new line and all is well. Until the next problem...

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

Way to go Dan!!! congrats :-) later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave