where's the starter?

The starter motor is on the right side. It is mounted alongside the transmission.

If you are at the front of the car looking at the starter motor, with its solenoid above it, the connections look like this:

The Red wire is the one which goes under the back seat.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Wow! Now thats a speedy answer! You answered the question before it was even posted!!! :-D

4play (@\|/@)(.\~/.)
> seat and going towards the engine through a hole close to the defogger> > relay (actually, there are two wires going through that hole), I pulled> > it softly and it disconnected from wherever it was. Damm!> >
Reply to
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

You should ask Speedy Jim the Aircooled VW Electrical Wiz at snipped-for-privacy@mail.nls.net .

Is it a 12 gauge red wire or a red wire with a black stripe? Then it might connect to the solenoid on the starter. Jack up the rear of your Beetle and look for the starter on the right side in front and above the right heater box. See if the wire has been disconnected from the starter solenoid. Mine has a push on connector. Hope this helps!

Reply to
Josef

you can actually reach the starter wires without jacking up the vehicle... at least I can....

Reply to
VWGirl

While tracking down a wire I saw this one that was going under the back seat and going towards the engine through a hole close to the defogger relay (actually, there are two wires going through that hole), I pulled it softly and it disconnected from wherever it was. Damm!

Now the wire is hanging disconnected from there to the ground, I don't know for sure where it was, and I can't start the engine.

My first guess after looking at the diagram is the wire that feeds the starter, am I right? if so where the hell is the starter engine? can be reached without lifting the car?

The bug I'm talking about is a '72 SB.

thanks Ant

Reply to
Ant

Thanks all for the info, specially Speedy for his speedy answer, :) Unfortunately I cannot reach it without jacking the car since it has some custom-cool poliester fenders that don't let my hands get there. Regarding the diagram I cannot trust the wire color code anymore, the PO messed up many things, and most colored wires are not what they are suppose to be >:(

Ant

Ant wrote:

Reply to
Ant

ha ha ha , I see now. Mind you, with *that* shirt, you should be able to frighten it up in the air !

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

LOL, you making fun on my shirt?? I am wearing one right now. I love these shirts.

-- Terry B AKA VDUBBS Buggin in Bama

- vdubbs at highstream dot net64 Bug Rauchen

Reply to
TerryB

LOL, I guess so. I like wearing them to keep the coworkers on their toes. They never know what I am going to wear to work. Plus they all know I am a bug nut, so it all goes together.