Wiper Squeak

Problems are like jello: you push down in one area and stuff squirts out another.

A few weeks ago I posted a method to add intermittent (delay) operation to wipers. It's been drizzly here in San Diego county and I gotta say that having intermittent wiper operation is a delight in the Wonderbus. But because Ma Universe makes sure that there is no such thing as a free lunch, a new problem has surfaced to fill the problem vacuum: a fairly loud and piercing squeak with every stroke of the wiper blades. Driver side. When the blade reaches its full extension. Every time. Squeak. Pause. Squeak. Pause. Rinse and repeat.

So . . . where do I squirt the oil . . . or do I need to pull the dash to get to the offending bushing?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Maybee take off wiper arm and plasticcap, try to lube the axle where i goes through the bushing. Maybe remove the lockring for ´get lube better in there. assemble and try again Bye.... Michael

Reply to
MIC

Sounds simple. Maybe /too/ simple. :-)

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Reply to
Busahaulic

Well, that's a bit uncertain. Lifting one wiper made no difference. Then lifting the second did stop the squeak. Putting that one back down did not bring the squeak back, putting the other back did -- after a few strokes. Leaving this one down and lifting the other made the squeak stop. It does not seem to be coming from the wipers themselves, but more like whether it is there depends on how much load the linkage is driving. Does that make sense?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Put some 3-in-1 oil into the wiper spindles. If that doesn't work, try pulling the mechanism and regreasing it.

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

OR -- get off my lazy butt and remove the wiper arms and discover that the nut that holds the driver side wiper axle bushing on the driver's side has come loose. Tighten as needed. Assembly is the reverse of disassembly except for the slight degree of pleasure experienced having found the problem.