1986 vovlo 740 gle cutting on and off and poor gas mileage

Hello I have a few problems.I have a 1986 volvo 740 gle and I am getting poor mileage.And when Im driving it like just starts cutting in and out and im getting backfire often and when Istart it it revs to around 2000rpm then goes down to around 1500 but shouldnt it be lower? please post any suggestions.

Reply to
pepe256

Vacuum leaks are the first thing to check for.

Reply to
James Sweet

I have already replaced the air intake hose and fixed a slit vacuum line and that helped a little.Then on the idle section could it possibly be the idle control valve causing the eraticc idle?

Reply to
pepe256

Could be, but usually that just sticks and results in too high or low idle. You probably have more vacuum leaks, they can be hard to track down.

Reply to
James Sweet

thanks for the help ill try it tommorow any suggestions on how to track down a vacuum leak?

Reply to
pepe256