1987 740 GLE -- Vacuum Canister Shot -- can I improvise?

Symptom: Air coming out of A/C vents very weak.

Diagnosis: I traced the vacuum line through the firewall and to the T fitting where it splits through the vacuum check valve and to the intake, and the other direction goes to the vacuum canister.

From the T-fitting to the intake I removed the vacuum check valve,

tested it, then cut the ends and reassembled everything on the hoses. This is OK.

I removed the vacuum hose from the T-fitting to the vacuum canister, checked to see no-body was watching and attached my "pulmonary pump" to the vacuum hose. (I blew into the hose).

The air flowed freely -- something was shot. I looked and looked and could not locate the canister. Correction - I could not ACCESS the canister. So, at the T-fitting I sealed off the opening with electrical tape and tested the vents. Great air flow - it worked.

So, now what can I do about the canister? Can I buy another one, mount it somewhere else and run a new line?

Thanks!

Reply to
Jamie

I had to unseal the end of the T-fitting that goes to the vacuum canister. It seemed to be choking the motor. When I unsealed the T-fitting, the motor aspirated better, but I lost my ventilation pressure for the A/C. I am guessing maybe a canister from AutoZone?

Jamie wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

Regarding the above, I have no idea how to access that bugger. I got under the car and it looked like I needed to remove the bumper on my

740 to get to the canister.

Jamie wrote:

Reply to
Jamie