1987 Volvo 740 GLE (B230E)

I am experiencing an intermittant problem with my car "spluttering". It is happening more often. I was advised to replace fuel filter, which i did but now find there is more than 1 filter. The fuel pump is noisy when the spluttering is happening. Can anyone shed some light on this, i am getting a bit desparate now.

Reply to
HIBEE

Here is a link to a variety of indexed articles.

zencraps

The noisy fuel pump makes me suspect the little in-tank fuel pump is not running. The main pump would be trying to suck fuel from the tank. The pump can fail or the fuel pump relay that controls the pump may have failed.

A lot of people say they can hear the pump running by removing the gas cap and listening to the tank when the ignition is on (whether or not the engine is running). I can't hear it, myself.

Also, if this is the problem, you will have worse symptoms when the fuel level in the tank is low. With a full tank it should be noticeably better.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Is this happening at all speeds? Have you tried it with a full tank of gas and then tested it idling, slow moving, and then opening the throttle up?

I would first buy a can of Sea Foam from the local hardware/auto store and pour 1/2 can into the fuel tank and run the tank. This will clean the injectors and fuel system. From there I'd replace the exterior fuel filter.

Next I'd test to see if the fuel injector seals are dried and might be leaking. After that it might be time to look at the in-tank fuel filter.

Also, the fuel pump relay is cheap - I'd replace that for peace of mind.

Lastly, is it time for new plugs and wires? And, if you're handy with a wrench, pull the distributor off and check the points and rotor.

Jamie

1987 Volvo 740 GLE (B230F) 199,000 miles.

PS: How many miles are on this car?

HIBEE wrote:

Reply to
Jamie