volvo 1990 740 B230E fuel injection engine...non starter

Only starts up then cuts out. If you release the fuel line(add air??) it starts up and runs at 3500rpm.

Reply to
volvoforlife

WHat do you mean release the fuel line?

Reply to
James Sweet

By releasing the fuel line where it enters the fuel distributor, just a fraction of a turn, the engine runs. But obviously this allows fuel to sprayer out of the joint.

Reply to
volvoforlife

Sounds like the mixture is way off, have you checked for large vacuum leaks or to see if the airflow plate is binding? Since you said fuel distributor I'm assuming this is a K-jet car?

Reply to
James Sweet

Cannot find any air leaks, now do you check the airflow plate? Regards from England

Reply to
volvoforlife
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Have you established if:

1) the ignition system is creating a spark at the plugs and 2) whether or not fuel is getting into the cylinders?

Test (1) by using a spark spark plug. Ground it (I sometimes use a jumpoer cable to establish a good ground) and connect a plug wire from any cylinder (or the coil lead) to it. Have someone crank the moor while you watch for a good spark in the plug's gap.

Test (2) by cranking for a bit, then remove the plugs and check for gas on them.

Once you get that far you will know where to look. Otherwise you can spend teo weeks hunting down an ignition problem when it could be a bad fuel pump, or vice versa. etc...

Did I mention Air mass Meter?

The car does have OBD- did you try to read the codes?

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

"volvoforlife" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

Are you sure it's the fuel line and not the return line you are releasing?

I just think that maybe a blocked return line could give overpressure resulting in starting problems.

regards

Per Hauge

Reply to
Per Hauge-Nielsen

Thanks to you all for your replies.

I have a good spark and fuel is getting to the plugs.

I will check that i am looking at the correct side of the fuel inlet/outlet. The diagnostic check reveals "no fault found"

Reply to
volvoforlife