1987 Volvo 740 GLE (Part II)

Because my first post got rather long, I started a new post. I am new to Groups, so if there is a forum etiquette please let me know.

I have the Gold Volvo 740 GLE, 1987 I bought last week for $500. My first post is here:

is where I am now, as I had just cleaned the Breather Box and hadthe car idle VERY poorly and die out. I purchased an O-ring for theBreather Box for 38 cents at the local mech. shop. This completed myparts for the B-Box. Before testing this, I noticed during theinstallation a wire unclipped from somewhere. I discovered I knockedthis off, and it bolted to the engine block, just above the B-Box. Itappeared to be part of the engine wire harness. Well, I had broken aclip from the snap on adapter, so it was damaged. I unbolted the boltthat secured what looked like a washer with two electrical prongs. Ihad to solder the adapter with one prong still in it to the ring withthe other prong on it. After soldering the this I was able to bolt itback onto the engine and I started the car. Fired right up, idles nicely, sounds GREAT! I let the car run 2-3 minutes and had no oil leaking. I was happy, but a test drive set the oil to leaking again, so I fear I was too late in cleaning the breather box. The prior owner let it go too long.

So, I am confident I cleaned the B-Box well, and will probably replace it down the road to be sure. I'll change the seals knowing I think I reduced pressure. What bothers me now are the exposed wires and possibly bad connections in the wiring harness.

I read where I guy named Dave sells these for about $200. Any thoughts on where to get a harness for a good price and exactly how much work is involved swapping it out?

thanks! jamie

Reply to
jamiebabineaux

Replace the harness ASAP I lost one Volvo due to a car fire caused by a bad harness. I knew that it was rotting but didn't get around to fixing it in time.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

It's Dave Barton, and I've bought one from him before, it was exactly as described and fixed the problems I was having with the '86 245. Of course 2 weeks later I found a harness in near perfect condition for $10 at the local junkyard but that's just how it goes.

Replacing it isn't too bad of a job, give yourself at least a few hours the first time though. The hardest part is usually removing the crusty old harness which will have become hard as a rock in places you need to flex it to get it off the engine. Take good notes or better yet, lots of digital photos so you remember exactly how to route everything.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks! I think I'll take good notes and lots of pictures. I'll have to see how bad removing the intake manifold is. Never did that and so I'm mainly not sure about the seals. Do I need to just swap the gasket, use a liquid sealer, etc.?

About the harness, do the one's at the junk yard need to be removed from the car or are they already pulled. Dave seems to have good stuff and $200 isn't so bad if it's new. I'd rather pay $10, but want something I know is good.

thanks!

Reply to
jamiebabineaux
Reply to
jamiebabineaux

Removing the manifold is pretty easy, but there's a few tricks. Pull the fuel rail and injectors as an assembly and push it aside rather than trying to disconnect the high pressure fuel lines. The gasket comes right off once you remove all the bolts, don't forget the bracket underneath with the idle speed motor on it. You'll want a new gasket on hand before you start, you shouldn't need any sort of sealant, but make sure you remove all of the old gasket from the head and manifold, sometimes they cooperate, sometimes they tear in half and stick tenaciously to both parts.

Completely depends on the yard, if you find a place that has them for $10 expect to bring your own tools and pull it yourself, this is a no-frills yard that I go to but it's worth it to me to save $. As I said though, it's very hit or miss, it was a complete fluke that they happened to have a recently replaced harness in an old car there, and almost miraculous that I got to it before some lazy prick cut it up to remove some other part. In your case I would buy one from Dave, but if you find a good one in a yard it's worth grabbing that too.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks! Great information.

Reply to